Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New monitor brings questions

I have just connected a new Dell UP2715K monitor to my MacPro (late 2013) (6,1).

The new 5K screen looks great, but I have been unable to verify the actual resolution. The 'Displays' option in the System Preferences does not report the resolution. Anyone have any ideas how I could verify the resolution being displayed by my new monitor?

In deciding just what to do with my old monitors I began to wonder if it's possible to use 2 monitors OF DIFFERENT RESOLUTIONS with the same Mac. Any thoughts on that subject would also be appreciated.

TIA,

Jerry

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), late 2013, Lightroom 2015 1.1, Aperture 3.5.1

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 1:00 AM

- How is the display connected? For 5K you need two mini splayport connected to the mac's Thunderbolt ports.

- Open Display preferences for that monitor and dot the Scaled circle and move ou cursor over the different option and you should see the different resolutions available listed on the left hand side.

- To see the resolution go to Apple icon in uper left and click on About this Mac>System Report>Hardware>Graphics/displays and the set resolutin will be listed

- To more easily change and see the available resolutions try:

SwitchResX – The Most Versatile Tool For Controlling Screen Resolutions On Your Mac

Display Menu from Mac App Store

I use Display Menu (freeversin) since without that I can't get the full 4K resolution on my Dell 4K monitor

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

- How is the display connected? For 5K you need two mini splayport connected to the mac's Thunderbolt ports.

- Open Display preferences for that monitor and dot the Scaled circle and move ou cursor over the different option and you should see the different resolutions available listed on the left hand side.

- To see the resolution go to Apple icon in uper left and click on About this Mac>System Report>Hardware>Graphics/displays and the set resolutin will be listed

- To more easily change and see the available resolutions try:

SwitchResX – The Most Versatile Tool For Controlling Screen Resolutions On Your Mac

Display Menu from Mac App Store

I use Display Menu (freeversin) since without that I can't get the full 4K resolution on my Dell 4K monitor

Aug 5, 2015 7:55 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

It is connected to the MacPro by the 2 mini display port cables supplied with the monitor. (DP! & DP2 to 2-DP 1.2 ports on the Mac) I have tried different ports and port combinations to see if that makes a difference. Currently Display Preferences is reporting 3008x1692. Seems like it should be better.

Jerry

Aug 5, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

The Mac has supported using multiple displays at once in an Extended desktop since circa 1987. this picture is worth 1,000 words:

User uploaded file

Windows can be dragged to either display, or split across them and they will continue to update "the right way". This feature is supported in Mac OS X directly, and works with all well-behaved Mac Applications unless they have deliberately defeated it (iMovie was on that list for a while).

Aug 5, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

The Mac has supported using multiple displays at once in an Extended desktop since circa 1987. this picture is worth 1,000 words:

Being able to use multiple monitors has been one of the things which has endeared me to Mac computers. I think my first multiple monitor setup was with my Power Mac G3 in about 1997.

In that time I have always had monitors with the same resolution. My question is can I use one of my old monitors (1600x1200) WITH the new Dell UP2715k and expect my computer to play nice with both?

Jerry

Aug 5, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

Yes, you can.

The picture above show two displays whose Icons are sized for their relative number of pixels. This is used when your displays are different resolutions. For Extended desktop, the only requirement is that the next display must be arranged so that it shares at least part of a side, top. or bottom with the other displays. Other than that, you can place those icons wherever you wish.

The mouse moves freely across the boundary, and can drag a window with it. The two displays can be as different as 64-bit color and black-and-white. Windows split across the boundary are updated "the way they ought to be" when scrolling.

Aug 5, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

Yes, I have one 4K monitor and two 1080p monitors connected to my 2013 Mac Pro

Gerald Gifford wrote:

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Being able to use multiple monitors has been one of the things which has endeared me to Mac computers. I think my first multiple monitor setup was with my Power Mac G3 in about 1997.

In that time I have always had monitors with the same resolution. My question is can I use one of my old monitors (1600x1200) WITH the new Dell UP2715k and expect my computer to play nice with both?

Jerry

New monitor brings questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.