Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for date-time default formats OS X 10.8 & earlier

I use Quicken for Mac 2007 (Intel) on my iMac and works well. But, on my Mac Mini it shows dates in US (M/DY) format instead of the system default D/M/Y.

Both my iMac and Mac Mini are running OS X 10.10.4. However, the iMac first ran OS X 10.6 and has been incrementally upgraded since while the Mac Mini started with OS X 10.9.

There must be something different about my two Macs which explains why Quicken gets date formats right on one but not the other.

Could there be an old plist file somewhere ?

OS X has default date-time formats according to locale. So, if region is set to US, dates are in M/D/Y format by default. If set to Australia, they default to D/M/Y format.

I have looked at all the preferences files but, I can't find where those defaults are stored. I have checked all the files in Library/Preferences and in Home/Library/Preferences. I have especially checked the hidden file ".GlobalPreferences.plist" in both folders. I've found that customised date-time formats are stored in Home/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist - suggesting that customisations are on a per user basis. But, both Macs are set to the defaults.

But, if there are no customisations, date-time formats don't seem to be stored anywhere. So, where would applications look to find them ?

I believe that something in date-time handling changed with OS X 10.9. So, I need to know how applications used to find default date-time formats in OS X 10.8 and earlier. Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), mid-2011, Core i7, 2.7Ghz, 8Gb

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:44 PM

22 replies

Aug 5, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, thanks.

There are messages about this issue on the Intuit communities going back some years. I've contributed to a number of discussions in the last week. No-one has managed to figure out what Apple changed with 10.9 that we could try to workaround with Quicken. Intuit, of course, don't care as they are only interested in the US market and the problem is for people who want a D/M/Y format.

A lot of Quicken users outside the US are waiting, hoping for an answer.

Cheers.

Aug 11, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Garry Brooke

Hi Garry,

Here is a possible way to find what we’re looking for (I don’t have all the necessary elements, so I can’t try this out at the moment):

Requirements:

• a Virtual Machine software (like Parallels)
  • a Mac OS X Lion 10.7 install dmg
  • a Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10 install dmg
  • Quicken 2007 for Lion

Steps:

1. Install 10.7 in a virtual machine
  2. Check the install log; save a copy
  3. Note the date and time (redundancy!)
  4. Install Quicken 2007 for Lion after an hour, and update to latest version
  5. Check the install log; what’s changed?
  6. Label the changed files, to keep under close watch
  7. Note the time of the new files added / modified
  8. Setup Quicken date format to dd/mm/yyyy
  9. Restart Quicken
  10. You should now have a properly functioning Quicken 2007 in Lion.
  11. Now check which file has changed / modified after time noted in Step 7. Location? This is probably the file we’re looking for!
  12. Now update to OS X 10.10 Yosemite on the VM
  13. Try Quicken in VM. Pull in a copy of current Quicken data file. Is the date format correct (dd/mm/yyyy)?
  14. If Yes, we haz success! If Not, we’re stuck 😟
  15. Delete the VM.
  16. In our regular install of OS X 10.10 (the one that was updated from 10.6 or 10.7), find the file identified in Step 11, and copy it over to the equivalent location on Mac that came with with a higher OS (in which Quicken can’t handle date formats other than US).
  17. Restart Mac. Launch Quicken

Logically, should work now.

All the best

Aug 11, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

Dipe,

It would be an interesting test. However, I don't have a copy of OS X that can be installed in a VM.

I've been thinking that Quicken looks for the default date-time formats in an OS X framework file or somewhere similar. So, I've been scanning all the system files on my iMac (on which Q2007 shows dates correctly) but with no luck so far. I've also put a question up on the Apple Developer Forum (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/13963). No result there as yet either.

Haven't given up yet.

Cheers.

Aug 12, 2015 3:15 PM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

Apple's EULA does not prevent 10.6 Snow Leopard from being installed in a VM with, for example, 10.10. That's an urban legend. What is true is that the VM companies do not support it, for reasons which have never been made public, but which likely have something to do with licensing agreements between them and Apple. The end user is not party to any such agreement(s) and is not bound by them.

While Parallels et al may support 10.7 and 10.8 in VMs with a 10.10 host, it is a violation of the EULA for a user to do so. The EULAs of 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 make this very clear. The VM companies are not in the business of enforcing EULAs between Apple and the end user. Apple has always relied on the ethics and good judgment of its end users to self-enforce OS X EULAs.

Since 10.7, Virtual machines are only allowed if the host OS is the same as the OS being run in a VM. So a 10.7 VM must be run on a 10.7 host, a 10.8 VM on a 10.8 host, et cetera. See section 2) b) iii) of the 10.8 SLA as an example. So with a 10.10 host, running 10.9, 10.8, or 10.7 in a VM is not allowed. Only 10.6 and earlier are allowed, and even then, only the Server versions are supported by the VM companies.

Aug 12, 2015 11:30 PM in response to Király

Interesting and detailed perspective. Thank you.

Since the specific objective is to troubleshoot a user-problem by recreating a situation, I doubt if Apple would object to the R&D. The start-point of how one gets to 10.10 is not defined. So, it could be argued that one can start with one's copy of Lion, and update to 10.10 thereafter, without any EULA violation.

Have to figure out this date format anomaly...

Aug 13, 2015 8:55 PM in response to Dipe Chatterjee

The "start point" doesn't matter. If you want to run 10.8 in a virtual machine, you must do it on a Mac that is already running 10.8. No other host OS is allowed. The licenses are unmistakably clear about that.

Apple definitely does care about its license agreements. Those license terms are there for a reason. Apple doesn't hesitate to delete posts/threads here on Apple Discussions that advocate or discuss violating those agreements.

Aug 13, 2015 9:26 PM in response to Király

I guess that in all this no-one knows the answer to the question: "... where would applications look to find ..." default date-time formats ?

Anyway, if I have a valid license for 10.7 is there anything in the SLA to prevent that copy being used on the same iMac as a copy of 10.8 - e.g. in a separate partition or an external hard drive ?

The only SLA clause I can find which pertains to that case is:

"you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

• to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;"

It doesn't say that I am required to delete my copy of 10.7. Does it ?

Aug 26, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Garry Brooke

Hi Garry,

I've good news, and possibly great news.

My problem is fixed, but I am not at liberty to discuss how... yet. Suffice it to say that it is not user-fixable.

But to answer your posted question, the file you're looking for is possibly ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist file (10.8 and earlier).

However, the complete solution does not lie there.

To understand the date-time format issue better, you may want to read this.

Looking for date-time default formats OS X 10.8 & earlier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.