Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote access of bridged airport extreme

Hello,

I have remote internet access via the setting "Setup over WAN" of an airport extreme setup as a primary router. I also have a secondary Airport extreme on that network setup as a bridge to create a roaming network. I am able to connect remotely to the primary airport extreme, the main router, via the airport utility and entering the public IP address but I don't know how to access the bridged airport extreme that is connected to the main one via ethernet cable. I noticed that once I set it up as a bridge, the "setup over WAN" option was not available.

Is there any way I can connect to the bridged AE remotely at this point?

Airport Extreme 802.11ac

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 4:27 AM

Not possible.. without a complete network rearrange. At least AFAIK.

Since only the main AE has public IP and there is no way to set it to configure the bridge device..

Did you want access to say a hard disk plugged into the bridged AE .. that would be possible by using port translation..

The better way around this sort of problem is using standard network vpn server router.. with both your AE in bridge.. vpn then allows you to access your local LAN remotely as if you are connected locally and have full access to the entire network.. semi-pro level vpn routers are readily available and no over expensive.. plus all apple devices have built in vpn client.. but have no vpn routers.. which is super odd.. as it is the right way to do things.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 4:27 AM in response to goilala

Not possible.. without a complete network rearrange. At least AFAIK.

Since only the main AE has public IP and there is no way to set it to configure the bridge device..

Did you want access to say a hard disk plugged into the bridged AE .. that would be possible by using port translation..

The better way around this sort of problem is using standard network vpn server router.. with both your AE in bridge.. vpn then allows you to access your local LAN remotely as if you are connected locally and have full access to the entire network.. semi-pro level vpn routers are readily available and no over expensive.. plus all apple devices have built in vpn client.. but have no vpn routers.. which is super odd.. as it is the right way to do things.

Aug 7, 2015 12:09 AM in response to goilala

There is a setting "use dynamic global hostname" and I was wondering if that was set up I could access the bridged AE?

No, because the two AE units have the same ports.. without some way to differentiate them.. ie by public IP or by Port you cannot access it. In the local network it works by different local IP.. and same port.. remotely you have the same IP.. the public addressable IP and different ports.. but of course apple have no way to change port for access.. so that is the end of that theory.

Other than that, I expect I would need to run something like teamviewer on a mac computer at that end on that network to see the bridged AE.

Teamviewer is another way of doing vpn.. without the quality. And needing to have a computer up and running 24/7 to accept your access.

I strongly recommend to do it right.. ie vpn router.. and not fool around with things like teamviewer. (as useful as it is when parents computer goes bung etc).

Aug 7, 2015 6:39 AM in response to LaPastenague

I don't know if I fully understand what you mean by a VPN router as a solution. Do you have a product name I could take a look at to see what you mean? I personally have an ASUS router (RT-AC66U) that has VPN functionality that I do not use. Do you mean if I could VPN into the main AE set up as a router that then when I ran Airport Utility remotely from here I could see both the main AE set up as the router and the AE set up as the bridge?

Currently the setup at the other end is Cable Modem / AE_1 as router / AE_2 configured as a bridge to extend the wifi network. But I don't think the AE supports VPN in the way you are talking about. Do you suggest putting something like my own ASUS VPN capable router behind the modem, then AE_1 as an access point and AE_2 as a bridge? Or, just get rid of one of the AE and set up VPN router like the ASUS as the AE_1 is set up but with VPN turned on? Then use one of the AE as a bridge (access point)?

Aug 8, 2015 4:02 PM in response to goilala

I personally have an ASUS router (RT-AC66U) that has VPN functionality that I do not use. Do you mean if I could VPN into the main AE set up as a router that then when I ran Airport Utility remotely from here I could see both the main AE set up as the router and the AE set up as the bridge?

That will work just fine. You will have to rearrange the network.

Cable modem--- AC66U---AE1---AE2

If you do not want to use the Asus for wifi that is no problem .. turn it off.

PPTP and OpenVPN servers are available.. usually the first one to try is PPTP which is easiest to setup and has easily available clients.. Asus do a good job.. but you might find the Merlin firmware works better.

See this page for more info.

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Knowledge-searchV2/?keyword=ASUSWRT%20VPN%20

I am happy to setup a vpn for you to access.. I have a very similar setup to the above.. and can setup OpenVPN or PPTP and you can have a trial at accessing it.. there are two AE routers setup as I suggested as well..

Send me an email.. roll your mouse over my name and the email will show.. we can arrange it when we are both online.

Just so you know why this works.. your computer will receive a new IP from the Asus in my network.. placing it over the vpn tunnel in the same network as I am in... and therefore open to any resources in the network.. except some things like names won't usually show up.. it will need to be handled by IP address.

You can then test how airport utility works over the link..

Remote access of bridged airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.