Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro virus wiping all applications and folders from hard drive

Hi, I am having an unusual problem with my mac book pro and my mac pro. Both from 2006. It appears to be an embedded virus that wipes out all applications and folders leaving the hard drive clean. But my biggest problem is that it also affects any hard drive that is attached to it. I had checked the EFI and it is up to date. I have replaced the hard drive but it is more internal in the system for it continues. I have contacted Apple, but they have no clue. Anyone knows what's happening or have any suggestions?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2006 / 2.66

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:05 PM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2015 2:44 AM in response to tomasfromwaynesville

Whatever is going on, it's not the result of any kind of virus. It's especially not the result of a firmware virus, if you've been paying attention to some alarmist reports about the Thunderstrike 2 vulnerability. (For a more balanced view of that story, see What You Need to Know About the Thunderstrike 2 Worm.)

As for what's going on, it's not possible for all folders on the whole hard drive to be wiped clean... if that happened, you wouldn't be able to see it, because the system wouldn't be working anymore.

Can you clarify exactly what you're seeing, and where? Screenshots would help immensely. Make a screenshot by following the directions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5775

Be sure no sensitive personal information is displayed. To add that image to a post here, click the camera icon in the post editor toolbar.

Aug 5, 2015 6:12 PM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply and for the link about the worm. At this time the operating drive has no applications for the mac to start up. I will have to reload the op system again. I quest that has to be a firmware bug or worm. This problem started with my mac book pro an early 2006 operating under Leopard OS. Upon waking it from a sleep I noticed that all the application icons on the dock were showing a question mack over them. Id go and click the hd open and none of the applications or software are there. When I restart to use the disk utility from the disc the computer cannot find the hard drive. I open the utility and the hd either shows indicating zero megs used or it doesn't appear at all. At first I though it to be the hd so I replaced it and reloaded the OS. It worked for a while then soon it started doing the same including the attached external drive. Several days later my mac pro started doing the same. I reloaded the OS work for a bit then again wiped out. But my biggest worry is that it has affected my other 3 drives all indicating 0 megs. I have removed these drives from the system hoping that I can find a way to retrieve their contents. I hope that this will help shed some light on the problem.

Tom M

Mac pro virus wiping all applications and folders from hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.