Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch Gen 5 Serious Battery Drain after Upgrading to ios 8.4

I've spoken to several people who are having trouble with iPhone and iPod 5's battery drain after upgrading to IOS 8.3 and 8.4. Apple support has kindly done some trouble shooting with me on this for free. But, we haven't been able to solve the problem, and the nearest 'genius' is very far away. Has anyone been able to solve this problem? Or, is it possible to go back to 8.2?

The battery drains about 25% overnight with everything turned off: Airplane mode on, iCloud off, app refresh off, all apps off, all notifications off, everything completely shut down/powered off. This is an improvement after I did a backup and restore. Prior to that, the battery was draining completely in 12 hours.

Before I upgraded, I could let my iPod sit turned off for several days with no problem. It's acting like I have something running, but I don't, and the battery usage doesn't indicate that there's anything unusual running.

A battery test by Apple with my iPod plugged in to my computer indicated no problem. But, they were not able to get the test to work without the iPod plugged in. They want me to take it it an Apple Genius, but there are none near here. Hoping someone else has found a solution or can tell me how to back up to 8.2.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:44 PM

4 replies

Aug 5, 2015 4:05 PM in response to lllaass

Did that. No dice. I tried to pull a backup off my Time Machine backup and restore back to 8.2, too, but the iPod immediately required me to upgrade. I'm pretty angry to now have an iPod that I have to leave plugged in all the time. I know I'm not alone with this problem. Do you know if Apple is planning to address this in any way?

Aug 6, 2015 9:29 AM in response to lllaass

More info on this. Yesterday I set up my iPod as a new iPod. All I put back on there was purchased music. As I was loading the purchased music, the iPod made loud crackling sounds like it was half trying to play the music through the iPod speakers while it was plugged in to the computer (Apple cord). I noticed it was doing this right after the first upgrade to 8.4. After I did the first factory setting restore (two days ago), the problem went away (I'd also turned off everything I could find to turn off).

Anyway, I powered the iPod off at 9:00 PM last night, fully charged. When I turned the iPod on this morning at 8:32 AM, the battery was down by 25%. Battery Usage is telling me that the last full charge was at 4:40 AM. I played music and fussed with setting for about 10 minutes to get Battery Usage info. The Battery dropped down to 50%. I turned the music off, plugged the iPod into my computer for a few seconds, unplugged it, and the battery reading dropped to below 20%. I'm totally baffled, since two days ago (after I had done the 'Restore Factory Settings' and then restored from a back-up), I was able to play music for two hours with heavy screen usage and only lose 25% of the battery.

Any thoughts?

Aug 16, 2015 11:12 PM in response to CG Dancer

Apple Genius wiped my iPod and installed 8.4.1 from scratch. Still having the same battery drain issue. The battery usage test showed that my battery had not been completely charged for 16,000 hours, which is longer than I've had it. So, obviously a problem there. An additional problem which, if anything, is worse after 8.4.1 and was a problem with 8.4 is static/crackling sounds which the iPod is plugged in. The Apple Genius hadn't heard that one before, but I've found others posting about it here. Hope it will get fixed soon.

iPod Touch Gen 5 Serious Battery Drain after Upgrading to ios 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.