Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing photos from iPhone 5c to iPhoto

Hello-

I am attempting to import all of my photos from my iPhone 5c to iPhoto. I have a little over 9,000 photos. About 3,500 show as already imported, with the remaining 5,500 showing as new photos. I select "Import all new photos" and it says that it is importing, but nothing is happening! It just sits there and I end up force quitting iPhoto. I have plenty of storage on my iMac. Is there a limit to photo storage in iPhoto? I do not want to sync as I want to clear up storage on my iPhone. I've been trying to import for the last couple of days. Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions?

Thank you!

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 12:12 AM

I have plenty of storage on my iMac. Is there a limit to photo storage in iPhoto?

iPhoto has a limit of 1000000 photos, it is unlikely that you already reached that limit.

Have you enabled iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone? Or My Photo Stream?

Then disconnect the iPhone again, and close the camera.app.

On your Mac disable the internet connection.

Then connect the iPhone again to USB and try again to import.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, the USB imports will be random, since the photos are stored in iCloud and not on the iPhone. You can only import the photos, that currently have been downloaded to the iPhone in full resolution.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 12:12 AM in response to skeletonboy11

I have plenty of storage on my iMac. Is there a limit to photo storage in iPhoto?

iPhoto has a limit of 1000000 photos, it is unlikely that you already reached that limit.

Have you enabled iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone? Or My Photo Stream?

Then disconnect the iPhone again, and close the camera.app.

On your Mac disable the internet connection.

Then connect the iPhone again to USB and try again to import.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, the USB imports will be random, since the photos are stored in iCloud and not on the iPhone. You can only import the photos, that currently have been downloaded to the iPhone in full resolution.

Aug 5, 2015 1:34 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for the suggestions, léonie! I have not enabled iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream. All the photos are directly on my iPhone. I disconnected the iPhone, turned off the internet and even shut down my computer and restarted. No luck.

I'm doing the same thing I did when I uploaded the first 3,500. iPhoto allows me to select "import all new photos" and they pull up on the iMac screen, but none of them are importing. When I try to close iPhoto, it tells me I have a session in progress. But photos are not importing. It automatically stopped importing after the first 3,500.

And you're right, I'm nowhere near 1,000,000 photos stored in iPhoto 🙂!

Importing photos from iPhone 5c to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.