Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Benefits to separate IMAP and SMTP entries on same machine?

I'm setting up the Mail Server within OSX Yosemite Server. As of right now, I've got a DNS entry for mail.xyz.com which handles both IMAP and SMTP parts of the equation. This seems non-standard when looking at traditional settings.

Mind you this is one Mac Mini.

Is there a benefit to setting up entries for imap.xyz.com and smtp.xyz.com for mail purposes, or can I even do that within the server mail app?

Thanks!

Robert

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 3:49 AM

Mac mail servers like Apple's and Kerio Connect run all the services on the same mail server so just using mail.domain.com works fine. Hypothetically using separate host names would make it easier to split these tasks if you had a mail server that worked that way.

I would suggest you have an A Record aka. Machine Record for mail.domain.com and then create CNAME aka aliases for smtp, imap, and pop3 if desired all pointing to the A Record. You can then configure the clients to use separate names 'just in case'.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 3:49 AM in response to Robert Marshall

Mac mail servers like Apple's and Kerio Connect run all the services on the same mail server so just using mail.domain.com works fine. Hypothetically using separate host names would make it easier to split these tasks if you had a mail server that worked that way.

I would suggest you have an A Record aka. Machine Record for mail.domain.com and then create CNAME aka aliases for smtp, imap, and pop3 if desired all pointing to the A Record. You can then configure the clients to use separate names 'just in case'.

Aug 5, 2015 2:01 PM in response to John Lockwood

Hmmm...maybe I'm missing something. I went ahead and set up CNAME records for imap.domain.com and smtp.domain.com, pointing them to mail.domain.com. This was done several hours ago.

However, when I change my account settings in Mail to reflect the new "servers" It says they're offline and cannot communicate with them.

---------------------------------

ALERT

There may be a problem with the mail server or

network. Verify the settings for account

"robertjm@domain.com" or try again.

The server returned the error: Connections to host

imap.domain.com on the default ports failed.

--------------------------------

All I did was change mail. to either IMAP. or SMTP., depending on whichever one it was supposed to be. Is there something I need to change within OSX Yosemite Server's Mail part as well?

Thanks!

Robert

Aug 5, 2015 3:45 PM in response to Robert Marshall

Depending on your setup there maybe different DNS servers responsible for your domain internally i.e. on your LAN, and externally i.e. as far as the Internet is concerned. These changes would need doing on both if so. Several hours would normally be long enough for such changes to propagate.

To do some tests try the following using Terminal on a client Mac and the mail server.

nslookup imap.domain.com

nslookup mail.domain.com

ping imap.domain.com

ping mail.domain.com

For imap.domain.om you should get a result looking something like this

Non-authoritative answer:

imap.domain.com canonical name = mail.domain.com.

Name: mail.domain.com

Address: x.x.x.x

For mail.domain.com it should look something like this

Address: x.x.x.x

The number should be the same for both since imap.domain.com ultimately should resolve to the same address as mail.domain.com and equally ping for both should work.

Aug 5, 2015 7:27 PM in response to John Lockwood

Well, I've obviously got something wrong because here's what I get when I do those look ups:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Last login: Wed Aug 5 13:50:07 on console

remote_client:~ robertjm$ nslookup mail.domain.com

Server: 127.0.0.1

Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Address: 96.xx.xxx.xx (this is the correct IP for my public gateway)

meerkat:~ robertjm$ nslookup imap.domain.com

** server can't find imap.domain.com: NXDOMAIN

---------------------------

Last login: Wed Aug 5 13:50:07 on console

mail_server: ~ robertjm$ nslookup mail.domain.com

Address: 192.xxx.x.xx (this is the correct IP for the server on the LAN)

meerkat:~ robertjm$ nslookup imap.domain.com

** server can't find imap.domain.com: NXDOMAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my DNS settings at our service registrar:

Zone File

Last updated 8/5/2015 9:30:19 AM MST

9 records in this zone

A (Host)

2 Records (0 Selected)

HostPoints ToTTLActions
@184.xxxx.xxx.xx600 seconds
mail96.xx.xxx.xx600 seconds

CName (Alias)

3 Records (0 Selected)

HostPoints ToTTLActions
imapmail600 seconds
smtpmail600 seconds
www@600 seconds

MX (Mail Exchanger)

1 Records (0 Selected)

PriorityHostPoints ToTTLActions
1@mail.domain.com600 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Benefits to separate IMAP and SMTP entries on same machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.