Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes deleted music

I was running iTunes 12.1.1.4 (I think, it's been updated as of now so I can't double check). I plugged in my iPod Touch, which is not set to automatically sync. I got a new CD that I ripped to my computer running Windows 7. I dragged the new files to the iPod and I saw "Waiting to update" as my status. After a few minutes I find that ALL my music has been removed from my iPod except the tracks I purchased through iTunes.

How pleasant.

I own all my music, so I have copies of it not only on my hard drive but also in physical format on CD. But come on. There's no possible setting that should wipe out all the tracks not purchased through iTunes.

That said...what, in the eyes of Apple, did I do wrong? How could I have averted this disaster?

iPod touch, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:50 PM

1 reply

Aug 4, 2015 9:18 PM in response to rymac_lhs

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I can't figure out how to edit the original.

One more piece of information: iTunes still lists all of my music as being on the iPod. Dragging a song from iTunes to my iPod does nothing at this point because it appears to already be there. But the iPod only lists songs purchased in the Music app.

I set the iPod to automatically sync with iTunes, and it looks like everything is now being copied back over. But only after I tried to play songs from the iPod, which iTunes recognized as being missing, then I restored the latest backup through iTunes. After the iPod rebooted it started syncing.

Again, I'd like to know what I did wrong to accidentally remove all my music.

itunes deleted music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.