Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 iMac: what cable(s) or Adaptor do I need to connect an eSATA HDD via my iMac USB port?

I want to connect a Western Digital HHD (WD5000AVDS-63U7B1) via one of the USB ports on my 2009 iMac.

What adaptor kit do I need? I need to transfer files before I send the HDD itself off for repair. How exactly can I do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:35 PM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2015 7:47 AM in response to den.thed

Hello and thank you for those selections.

Will it matter if the drive is out of a security DVR? In other words, I plan on putting it back into the DVR security system. I just need to transfer files and since the WD HDD supports S.M.A.R.T. status, I wanted to try a repair as well from the iMac's Utilities Application. I am able to do this on other external drives however, this drive has a different method of connection. So I need the adaptor and (2) cables; one to the USB port (iMac) ending at adaptor, one to the adaptor ending into WD HDD. Hope this makes sense?

Maybe I can just quickly remove one of the external HDD's I currently have and connect this WD HDD to it's housing since I have cables for those already?

Aug 5, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Rudegar

Hi Rudegar, I'm not quite sure I understand.

I get the privacy thing but this is my own personal home DVR. It is showing S.M.A.R..T. error and I simply want to run the Repair option from my iMac. I was told by the Security company, that it can be done since their warranty on the HDD is passed. The HDD itself is warranted by WD so worse case, it can be returned to that manufacturer and they as well asked me to run a test first and if it does not repair it, send it in fro replacement. So no distribution of any information here, just an individual trying to repair a HDD so it can be operational again.

Jan 30, 2016 6:46 AM in response to H W

Hi HW,

Just wondering if you managed to get your WD5000AVDS-63U7B1 working as an external USB drive on your iMac? I found a similar one on an un used HD set top box and wanted to use it for external back up, and was on the fence about external caddy because I hear some western digital drives can be a bit temperamental with setting jumpers and assigning as "master" or "slave" etc?

Thanks a million,

Regards

Ronan

2009 iMac: what cable(s) or Adaptor do I need to connect an eSATA HDD via my iMac USB port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.