Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp: no way to communicate files between Windows and OS X

• When booting on Windows 7 via Bootcamp: In Windows explorer appears only the (C) Bootcamp Windows partition. No way to find anywhere an OS X partition
  • When booting on OS X Yosemite via Bootcamp: I can see Bootcamp Windows 7 partition in "starting disk", but it is impossible to copy a file in this other partition
  • Only way: the heavy solution to transfer a file from one partition to another via an USB memory card

Can you please help explaining a more easy way to transfer files from one partition to the other ? (I repeat that no OS X Yosemite partition is visible anywhere in Windows 7 partition in my iMac)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 4:00 AM

the ability to see the OS X partition is a part of the bootcamp driver you install in windows

Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640

9 replies

Aug 5, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks Loner for answer.

Please find my answers hereafter:

1. FileVault was not enabled on iMac
  2. As recent Mac systems user, I am not familiar with "Terminal command" possibilities. Nevertheless please find hereafter the result of "diskutil cs list":

Last login: Wed Aug 5 15:15:02 on console

iMac-de-Famille:~ Rouze$ diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group 3E5DFAC7-2A04-42A2-B245-4405AC35F2AE

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 1100333862912 B (1.1 TB)

Free Space: 143360 B (143.4 KB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 0C1A552D-5A49-4460-9302-89BD59500650

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 8549E0FD-C25B-4A8E-BBDE-027E62BFC401

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 1

| Disk: disk1s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 979345010688 B (979.3 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 3949323E-BD65-450F-8584-FCC550073E84

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Status: Unlocked

Encryption Type: None

Conversion Status: NoConversion

Conversion Direction: -none-

Has Encrypted Extents: No

Fully Secure: No

Passphrase Required: No

|

+-> Logical Volume BD82E0B3-42B0-427F-9C77-D488D3CC2CFB

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk2

Size (Total): 1094146850816 B (1.1 TB)

Conversion Progress: -none-

Revertible: No

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

iMac-de-Famille:~ Rouze$

Aug 5, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for answer Loner, but I am disapointed not to be able to take advantage of bootcamp application.

DId I make a mistake in installing Bootcamp, or is Bootcamp a capricious application ?

In fact I am fed up with parralel desktop application which work well but which ask for money for each needed upgrade.

Aug 5, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Bilou92

Boot Camp works very well for its intended use which is native booting and use of Windows on an Apple computer. Its use is not to share files between two different operating systems, each running at separate times and not concurrently.

Use VirtualBox if you want virtual machine functionality but don't want to pay for it. VirtualBox is free.

Aug 5, 2015 10:19 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

If you really want to see both systems, I suggest you erase the internal disk, create a JHFS+ partition for OSX, and install Windows, and you will get read-only visibility to either partition.

Virtualization can also be used, as BobTheFisherman, points out. Virtual engines include there own read-write layer for sharing files. You can also install BC/Windows and then run VirtualBox as the layer above BC/Windows and you will get native and virtual access, both.

Aug 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks Loner and Bob for all your suggestions. As I refuse and not accept to pay, now for the fourth time, 50€ for a mandatory upgrade of Parallels Desktop application just to be able to follow free upgrades of Mac OS, I will quit Parallels and choose with pleasure one of your solutions ! Enough is enough !

Thanks for your help

Bootcamp: no way to communicate files between Windows and OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.