Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Language Tracks in iMovie

Hello guys,

i'm using iMovie 10.0.9 on my MacBook Air mid 2012 running OSX Yosemite. I'm german so my english will not be perfect. :-)

I actually have two Questions:

1.)

I'm trying to edit a MP4 Movie File which has 2 language tracks. German and English. But iMovie always preselects the German one. Of course i google'd, but the most given answer is to delete one Track using Quicktime Pro. But i don't have QT Pro. Is there a way to select between multiple Audio Tracks in iMovie?

2.)

And my second Question is, is there a way to reunite seperated Audio and Video Parts in iMovie after editing them?

Background: I'm editing one part of a video, select it, seperate the Audio from the Video, put another Audio under the Video part, and now i always have to select both Audio and Video when i want to move it, or copy it to play it multiple times etc. is there a way to put Audio and Video together to one part again?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 12:36 AM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2015 10:53 PM in response to bltpgermany

Hi,

Check MacMost Now 824: Handling Multiple Layers Of Audio In iMovie 11

This is not a solution for you but may give you some ideas.

I suspect the localization of your version of iMovie has something to do with German being selected for the audio track. Or, on converting the MP4, German is seen as the primary track.

If that is even close to being on track, find someone who has iMovie localized for the second audio track and have them open your MP4 on their version of iMovie.

If you are lucky you may be able to save that second track and import it to your version of iMovie.

If you have problems with importing it, try saving the second track to GarageBand and import it through the Content Library.

There are a host of things that can go wrong with what I’ve suggested above. Proper synching being at the top of the list.

Guten Tak

Sep 24, 2015 1:53 AM in response to bltpgermany

ad #1)

iMovie isn't meant to handle selectable audio-tracks; it's a consumer-friendly 14€ app to boil down your own reecordings; multi-linggual movies are usually commercial products, or 'rips' ..........

actually no multi-audio clip at hand, but you can give the free tool Mpeg Streamclip a try, which supports selection of audio tracks.

Your system just picks up track1, and done....

ad #2)

no re-attachement of extracted audio-tracks.

and in most cases not needed due to 'magnetism', famous in both edit-apps from Apple, iM and FCPX:

the green bar has a lil' snorkle which connects it to some video clip above. Moving the video moves the audio either. And everything else connected to that clip (titles, cut-aways) ... very handy ... if your familiar with clip-based editing, and not track-based editing as in Premiere or obsolete FC/pro ....

It asks for a slightly bit different organizing of your workflow ....

for editing bi-lingual movies I would consider a different, more pro editor = $$$ .... but safes lifes time ... 😉

Multiple Language Tracks in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.