Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a simple media player to work. [Airport]

Dear,

so we're moving togehter which makes me, being the occasional square, think about my home network stuff.

So I have two AVR's in the network and some other network player devices that all work like a charm. Now my girl wants to play girl music with her girl devices; iPad Air and iPhone 6.

I was thinking about getting an airport express so she can stream her tralala to one of the AVR's, but I tried to set those Airport things up once and nearly puked. This thing wants to be a master access point, not a slave-like device. ***?

All Wireless devices are connected through my router and it stays that way. The device should pop up as a player in the network, without the need of connecting directly with our though it. Simple task, you think?

So, how do I just add an airplay functionality without this kind of humilation?

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 12:58 AM

4 replies

Aug 5, 2015 4:20 AM in response to cheezuz

🙂😁😝😉

Your present router may not be airplay compatible.

The best would be to plug the express into your router by ethernet.. and connect it up as an independent AP for GF alone.. it will then work absolutely fine without causing you headaches or even affecting your system at all.. but you MUST use ethernet. And that means you need it close to the main router and able to connect it to the AVR by some sort of method.. ethernet/optical/analogue.. whatever.

The trick to doing this if you cannot get physical connection to the main router and the express located near enough to an AVR to play music.. use the apple wireless extend system by also purchasing an airport extreme say gen4 or gen5 second hand.. not expensive.. plus the express .. you can then create a fully independent wireless system.. for macs and iphone and ipods and istuff.

Aug 5, 2015 4:24 AM in response to LaPastenague

Yeah thanks but I want it in one network since I need that iStuff for testing the websites I develop etc. I think I just try a few 3rd-party streamers.

Why is Apple so obsessed with opening a new, exclusive network for their protocols 'n stuff? Maybe because almost all their devices have wifi issues when not connected with Apple hardware? 😮

Aug 5, 2015 4:35 AM in response to cheezuz

Yeah thanks but I want it in one network since I need that iStuff for testing the websites I develop etc. I think I just try a few 3rd-party streamers.

What I have proposed will still work on your network.. it is still one flat network.. and any server you setup etc will still work.. it is simply allowing apple stuff to connect the way it is designed to.

If you mix up networks.. it can be done also using static IP.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

I do this.. I mix apple routers into a gargoyle router with a bridged adsl modem.. it all works very solid.

Why is Apple so obsessed with opening a new, exclusive network for their protocols 'n stuff? Maybe because almost all their devices have wifi issues when not connected with Apple hardware?

To be exclusive is how you charge more for the services and equipment you provide.. thus making apple the richest company in the world. They didn't get that way by being Mr NiceGuy.

In theory it allows them to build systems that integrate perfectly.. and whilst that is some way off.. it does work better than the windows/android/linux/whatever shomosles the rest of the world works under.

Aug 5, 2015 4:54 AM in response to LaPastenague

To be exclusive is how you charge more for the services and equipment you provide.. thus making apple the richest company in the world. They didn't get that way by being Mr NiceGuy.

lol. Let's just stop this argument here for the Google folk. I'm already afraid of some lawyers, who seem to have summoned just recently. It feels somewhat cold in here and the sky has a vibrant red and orange color you see in 'Nam movies. The dog is unusually quiet for about an hour. Maybe it's just my GF's presentiment, stating it will be a cold day in **** when she buys an Android phone. .

Okay, I think I just find some RaspPI distro that handles this lowest level of a years-old technology properly. Thanks anyway for your help.

Getting a simple media player to work. [Airport]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.