Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my tracks have 'download from the cloud' icons

I have been attempting to move my iTunes library to an external HD. My iTunes preferences show that the library is located on the external HD (volumes/music/iTunes v2/iTunes media) but all of the music in my iTunes library is now displaying a cloud icon with an arrow pointing downwards. Previously, I was able to play music locally. I do have iTunes Match and Apple Music enabled.

I have noticed that, when I look at the folders on the external HD, the physical music files are 'outside' of the iTunes folder (i.e. they are in a folder on their own rather than being included in the iTunes v2/iTunes media folders.

Where should I go from here?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 5:03 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Spencer Taylor1

I have managed to make some progress and I have moved my iTunes library successfully to the desired external HD. I can now access the music locally, however, the music is playing from the previous location even though the library is now based on the external HD (and shows up as being the location in iTunes preferences). I know this because when I click on individual tracks, the file information tells me that it is based in the previous location and not on my external HD.

1. How can I move the actual music files into the appropriate place so that the library references them on the external HD?

2. I don't appear to have an iTunes Media folder within the iTunes folder that I transferred to the external HD. Is that where the music files should be?

3. I have an iTunes Match folder on my computer's HD, does that need to be moved to the external HD too?

All my tracks have 'download from the cloud' icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.