Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rip a CD (ALAC) into iTunes that I previously downloaded with Apple Music AND keep all accrued data, have it save and play from iTunes and not Apple Music folders

DON'T KNOW if this is the right place for this - I have copied this issue over to the Apple Music Forum too.

How do I rip a CD (ALAC) into iTunes that I previously downloaded with Apple Music AND keep all accrued data, have it save and play from iTunes and not Apple Music folders?

The PROBLEM seems to be the following:

1. I have downloaded and listened to an album downloaded to my computer from Apple Music (where the album then gets saved to the Apple Music sub folders)

2. I have then decided I want the full album and prefer to have the physical CD so I can rip CD to obtain the full ALAC version. iTunes ask do I wish to replace the current files - I say yes as I wish to keep the file data.

3. HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES - iTunes then copies the new ALAC files into the Apple Music sub folders instead of the iTunes/music/artist/album sub folders on my hard drive.

4. iTunes keep the files tagged as APPLE Music files - which means that even if I move them to the proper folder and then I point iTunes to where they are now - iTunes then moves them back to the Apple Music sub folder (as it continues to tag then as Apple Music items - even though the files are now ALAC files ripped from my purchased CD).

(Note: Surely this is not good from an apple shareholder point of view - after all why should Apple continue paying royalties on 'Apple Music' items when in fact I have purchased the item? It is a drain of Apples money)

I don't believe this happens when I decide to purchase a Song/Album through iTunes (or on my phone).

(NON SUITABLE) CURRENT WORKAROUND

The only way I have been able to work around this is to

- delete the song/Album from iTunes (i.e. delete the apple music download and all the data accumulated on that download),

- update my library

- Rip the CD

Am I doing something wrong - OR is this a very infuriating Bug AS WELL as well as unnecessary financial drain for Apple

Am running Windows 7 (soon to be update to Windows 10) Sony Laptop with the most recent version of iTunes 12.2 (I think)

Windows 7

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 2:03 AM

There are no replies.

How do I rip a CD (ALAC) into iTunes that I previously downloaded with Apple Music AND keep all accrued data, have it save and play from iTunes and not Apple Music folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.