Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library shrunk but not affecting system space?

I recently split off my Aperture library between business and personal photos, exporting the business photos to a new library on an ext HDD and then deleting the business photos from the current library (both aperture trash and system trash). The size of this new library is 81GB and my main library shrunk from 220GB to 177GB. However, my system space has not gained back the extra space I thought I would get from this move. Is there any reason for this? I can't see any reason why I would not gain back the free space on the system?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 2:40 AM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2015 3:27 AM in response to olisones

Is your Aperture library referenced or managed?

Are you also using the new Photos.app and have migrated the Aperture library to Photos? Then the Photos.app may be using links to your Aperture photos and the storage will only be released, after you delete the photos from Photos as well.

Is your Mac a portable mac? Then the deleted files may still be present in local Time Machine snapshots and you will see the released storage after your next regular Time Machine backup.

Aug 5, 2015 6:34 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

Is your Aperture library referenced or managed?

Are you also using the new Photos.app and have migrated the Aperture library to Photos? Then the Photos.app may be using links to your Aperture photos and the storage will only be released, after you delete the photos from Photos as well.

Is your Mac a portable mac? Then the deleted files may still be present in local Time Machine snapshots and you will see the released storage after your next regular Time Machine backup.

The library is managed (as in everything is within the library file).

I'm not using Photos as yet

I've just completed a backup to my Time Capsule, but this hasn't changed the amount of free space. However, mobilebackups is showing no free space within that.

Aug 5, 2015 8:16 AM in response to olisones

The size of this new library is 81GB and my main library shrunk from 220GB to 177GB.

Is that the size Aperture is showing or the size you are seeing in the Finder when you look at the Aperture icon?

However, mobilebackups is showing no free space within that.

Mobile backups is the storage used for iPhone/iPad backups. Are there Backups listed on your system drive, as described here: http://pondini.org/OSX/LionStorage.html

Where did my Disk Space Go?

Aperture library shrunk but not affecting system space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.