Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X went back to original files

I have two Apple iMacs with both 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.Since I'm planning a huge trip I don't have time to backup everything on DVDs and Blu Ray Discs. So I transferred everything from the old computer to the new one using a data cable. Except I probably shouldn't have transferred the System Libraries and User files because now all my dock programs are set to the old format and all the applications are asking me to re-input my serial numbers. The desktop picture also changed to the old one. I then burned just the System files to Blu Ray Discs and then deleted those but still everything is messed up. What happened with the new computer's preferences? Is there a way to get it back?

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 5:35 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2015 12:33 PM in response to IcyCool7227

If you need to transfer data to a new mac you should use the migration assistant. Then really just transfer data - photos/documents/etc - and the user settings. Better off using time machine to do a backup of your info and using it to transfer files - the process is less likely to mess up system files. If you have time machine setup on the new mac use it to go back if not you my have no choice to restore the new mac and be careful not to repeat transferring the wrong files.

OS X went back to original files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.