Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad issues (none of the other discussions here solved my problem)

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading.

I have a MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2011 10.10.3 (out of warranty) and I have been struggling with trackpad issues since January 2015 soon after receiving the warning "Battery Service" from my laptop (the messag. Basically, the trackpad behaves erratically, it's often stuck in select position, and makes quite hard to write an entire sentence without moving on its own. You would not believe how much pain this is causing, especially for my work. I thought about the battery, but it actually works fine: At the beginning the troubleshooting was fine and the problem did not occur again until March 2015. In addition to the trackpad issues, the laptop did not connect with the projector (although the adapter was just new) and was not able to open more than 2 files at the same time.

I brought the laptop to a technician, who cleaned it up and said everything seemed fine to him. He suggested to upgrade to Yosemite, which I did. For a couple of days everything was OK, but the symptoms came back again.

I finally resigned and went to a certified Mac reseller (I live in Southern Ireland, and there is no AppleStore here...). They run some tests, saying that the battery failed.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 5:16 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2015 5:18 AM in response to ott2975

While writing the above message, the trackpad deleted some sentences on its own, as it was again stuck in the select mode...I posted it again below.

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading.

I have a MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2011 10.10.3 (out of warranty) bought in 2012 and I have been struggling with trackpad issues since January 2015 soon after receiving the warning "Battery Service" from my laptop (the message disappeared after a day or two an never returned). Basically, the trackpad behaves erratically, it's often stuck in select position, and makes quite hard to write an entire sentence without moving on its own. You would not believe how much pain this is causing, especially to my work. I considered the warning message about the battery, but it actually works fine: I have no problems with charging and it has 553 cycles. At the beginning the troubleshooting, VNRAM, SMC, PRAM was fine and the problem did not occur again until March 2015. In addition to the trackpad issues, the laptop did not connect with the projector (although the adapter was just new) and was not able to open more than 2 files at the same time.

I brought the laptop to a technician, who cleaned it up and said everything seemed fine to him. He said that the battery was not bulging at all. He suggested to upgrade to Yosemite, which I did. For a couple of days everything was OK, but the symptoms came back again.

I finally resigned to paying the 70.00 EUR for the service of a certified Mac reseller (I live in Southern Ireland, and there is no AppleStore here...). They ran some tests, saying that the battery failed. They did not identify the trackpad issues, which was weird, as it usually takes less than 10 minutes before the trackpad starts behaving erratically. They recommended to replace the battery (costing 150.00 EUR plus 70.00 EUR for the labour) because they battery failed their standards, but they explicitly told me that they could not guarantee that the replacement would solve my issues with the trackpad, since they were not able to replicate them. I was disappointed and discouraged by the price, so I decided to wait. I would be very grateful to anyone, if you have recommendations or suggestions. Thanks.

Trackpad issues (none of the other discussions here solved my problem)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.