Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whats so great about Snow Leopard?

Sold a older Macbook to someone that hates the newer Oses and refuses to run them, so I installed SL on his MacBook prior to selling it. Can anyone think of why someone would want this? I believe that SL is faster than Yosemite and that may be a major reason why. Anyone?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 5:27 AM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2015 5:31 AM in response to jwolf6589

Mac OS X Snow Leopard was the last Mac OS X version that supported Rosetta, which let you run PowerPC apps on Intel-based Macs. This was one of the main complaints when OS X Lion was released to the public, but now only few people need PowerPC apps.

Sincerely, I would not recommend Snow Leopard right now. This Mac OS X version ran out of support a few years ago and it does not receive security updates so it would make your Mac unsafe, but it is up to the user. I would give him/her one advice: if he/she does not like new OS X versions, he/she should give Windows 10 or Linux a try.

Aug 5, 2015 7:47 AM in response to jwolf6589

First of all, it's the last Apple OS that received 8 point updates--Tiger got 11 (lately, the most we can hope four is maybe 5), and before Apple started rushing out OS versions once a year, without ever really getting them completely polished. Second, and maybe most important, it's the last OS that isn't a bastardized mix of iOS and OS X. But, yes it's no longer supported, which is why I'm running 10.8.5, which is very likely to see its EOL in the fall, when 10.11 arrives--and when I will probably jump off to 10.9, for which I kept the installer. I still have Snow available for dual booting for when I need an older PPC app.

Booted to Snow, I don't use Mail, or any application that uses WebKit, such as Safari, which is very badly outdated and not safe.

Whats so great about Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.