Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can´t move iTunes library

Hi!

Got a MacPro from 2012 with 4 HD. I like to move the iTunes library. I copied the library to HD2 and the system is on HD1. BUT every time I start iTunes it puts a new library in /Music/. I try to redirect it in preference/advance but it can not read the library I moved. Ok, ok it can read the things I bought from iTune store, but not my old added stuff is gone, like CD:s, home added films.

This is what I want to do;

Move my present iTunes library from my SSD HD [system, only 256 GB] to one of my other, traditional HD, 1TB. And play it from there. I can´t manage this.

Please help me?!

Per

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 4:28 AM

Howdy Ice44,

It sounds like you have really nice system with the 4 drives including an SSD for the system volume. I can see why you would want to move your iTunes library to a data drive.

This article explains how to move your iTunes library to another drive. It says "external" drive, but it can just as easily be another internal drive.

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive - Apple Support

It's interesting the line at the bottom of the article is for moving your iTunes Media folder, which you want to do, but it resolves to the same article (itself) for the Mac instructions

If you want to move your iTunes Media folder, learn how to move your folder on a Mac or on a Windows PC.

Once moved you need to select that "new" library as the one you want to use.

Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support

Mac

1. If iTunes is running, quit iTunes.
  2. Hold down the Option key while you open iTunes.
  3. You'll see a message that says Choose iTunes Library. Depending on what you want to do, choose Create Library or Choose Library.User uploaded file

All the best.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2015 4:28 AM in response to Ice44

Howdy Ice44,

It sounds like you have really nice system with the 4 drives including an SSD for the system volume. I can see why you would want to move your iTunes library to a data drive.

This article explains how to move your iTunes library to another drive. It says "external" drive, but it can just as easily be another internal drive.

Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive - Apple Support

It's interesting the line at the bottom of the article is for moving your iTunes Media folder, which you want to do, but it resolves to the same article (itself) for the Mac instructions

If you want to move your iTunes Media folder, learn how to move your folder on a Mac or on a Windows PC.

Once moved you need to select that "new" library as the one you want to use.

Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support

Mac

1. If iTunes is running, quit iTunes.
  2. Hold down the Option key while you open iTunes.
  3. You'll see a message that says Choose iTunes Library. Depending on what you want to do, choose Create Library or Choose Library.User uploaded file

All the best.

Aug 7, 2015 5:02 AM in response to Ice44

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the select prompt choose the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied iTunes folder.

Can´t move iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.