Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find link option in Preview under annotation

I exported a pages doc to a pdf. The link gets lost in the export and so I tried to place the link directly onto the pdf but it looks like the link option under annotation in Preview no longer exists. How can I place a link on the pdf? I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, Preview vs. 8.0. What am i doing wrong?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 8:16 AM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2015 9:38 AM in response to briarbeard

The link annotation has been gone from Preview for years. A properly set URL link in a Pages v5.5.3 document will survive and function after an Export to PDF.

1. In Pages, select the text to receive the link
  2. Right-click on this selected text and choose Add Link
  3. Type in the full URL of the link, and press return to set it.
  4. Click outside of the Link dialog in your document (the dialog will close)
  5. Export your Pages content to PDF.

Aug 5, 2015 11:30 AM in response to briarbeard

Well, I am the one that said Pages v5.5.3. But, it does not export blue hyperlinks, or blue text, by default. Pages '09 v4.3 does export hyperlinks as blue text with blue underlines by default. Thus, the steps that I provided above for Pages v5.5.3, would be different using the Link Inspector in Pages '09.

Pages '09 v4.3

1. Select the text to receive the link
  2. Open the Link Inspector, and check Enable as a hyperlink
    1. Set Link To selection as webpage, email, or bookmark (Links to other Pages documents do not export to PDF, or Word)
    2. Type in the URL and press return to set it
    3. Export to PDF as usual

Can't find link option in Preview under annotation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.