Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using ADC Connector with MacPro

Dear Apple Community,

Ive managed to come by this very nice MacPro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 10 GB

And I have two very old but nice Apple Studio Displays, which are brilliantly designed and still have excellent colour and resolution.

This issue is that Apple when making the display decided to design a single preparatory display cable that transfers display signal information, power and USB. The connection is called ADC (Apple Display Connection) and was phased out quite quickly.

Ive looked into ways of converting the ADC connection to DVI or VGA but it seems very difficult and messy due to having to split the ADC cable into its component parts.

At this point I had a brain wave and realized that I had three very old Mac Pro G5s that all had working graphics cards with an ADC output. I thought I could simply wack the old G5 cards into the new MacPro and Id be laughing.

Unfortunately the old graphics cards plug into the motherboard with what I believe to be a PCI Express connection (though could be AGP not 100% sure) but the new MacPro only has PCI slots. So at this point Im stumped as to what to do. As the old graphics cards simply dont fit in the new machine.

I would love to hear any ideas to a solution to this problem as it would be great to get these lovely displays up and running again rather than forking out hundreds for new monitors.

Thanks,

Nick.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 5:51 AM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2015 8:31 AM in response to 58Rory

the old graphics cards simply dont fit in the new machine.

I run a 30" cinema display. About the only way to do it is to buy a Used Apple ADC to DVI adapter (includes power brick) or a Dr Bott version of the same thing (may be cutely called a DVI-ator). This transforms the powerless ADC display into powered DVI display that looks like a snake that just had lunch.

For connection purposes, this creates a Virtual DVI display, and you can still use ONE additional adapter with this setup if needed.

Aug 5, 2015 8:57 AM in response to lllaass

I may be mistaken about the DVI-ator name. That DVI-ator will not do the whole job unless it includes a power supply.

There are about 50 of the Apple adapters in varying conditions (from unused to scuffed up) available on eBay, and the AC power cord (if missing) is a standard IEC electronics cord that can be found anywhere. Thats where I got my adapter and it has worked for years -- the display itself was a lease return.

Using ADC Connector with MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.