Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do I look in my itunes library to see the size?

I want to buy a new ipod but don't know how big my itunes library is. where do i look to determine my itunes library size?

iPod nano

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 9:14 AM

I don't think there's any way to see the size of the complete Library in one place, so you have to add up the various figures yourself. However, to find those figures, turn on the Status Bar, which is displayed at the bottom of the iTunes window. Do this by pressing the CTRL and / buttons together. (CTRL+/)

User uploaded file

To find how much space the music uses, make sure you have highlighted the All Albums (that I've ringed in the screenshot), or you could end up being mis-led, like this:

User uploaded file

One possible view, is Playlists view; set it like this:

User uploaded file

... because in this view, even though I have just one song selected, the Status Bar shows the space used by all the music. To display the third item (3.), turn on the Column Browser, using CTRL+SHIFT+B:

User uploaded file

My screenshots show the number of songs in my Library. It includes some songs that I don't have set to Sync with my iPod, but straight away, we can see that a 64GB iPod wouldn't be large enough. By selecting the other sections of your Library, such as Podcasts, Movies, etc. and adding up the figure shown for those sections, you will get an idea of your requirements.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 9:14 AM in response to lucyforpeace

I don't think there's any way to see the size of the complete Library in one place, so you have to add up the various figures yourself. However, to find those figures, turn on the Status Bar, which is displayed at the bottom of the iTunes window. Do this by pressing the CTRL and / buttons together. (CTRL+/)

User uploaded file

To find how much space the music uses, make sure you have highlighted the All Albums (that I've ringed in the screenshot), or you could end up being mis-led, like this:

User uploaded file

One possible view, is Playlists view; set it like this:

User uploaded file

... because in this view, even though I have just one song selected, the Status Bar shows the space used by all the music. To display the third item (3.), turn on the Column Browser, using CTRL+SHIFT+B:

User uploaded file

My screenshots show the number of songs in my Library. It includes some songs that I don't have set to Sync with my iPod, but straight away, we can see that a 64GB iPod wouldn't be large enough. By selecting the other sections of your Library, such as Podcasts, Movies, etc. and adding up the figure shown for those sections, you will get an idea of your requirements.

where do I look in my itunes library to see the size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.