Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite NTFS support ??????????

Did Apple change something at the level of their native NTFS support in Yosemite ????????????

I've got an NTFS drive (USB), 1TB, labeled "FC-Backup", that I can't managed to get write access to....

No matter what I do in fstab, using LABEL or UUID, that doesn't work. Mounting it manually (to some mount point on the Desktop for example) doesn't work better, I get some warning on the command line from 'mount_ntfs' saying the file system is read-only and I don't even see the files on the drive doing so...

'completely lost !!!!

If it's to point me to some stuff found on Google, please stop loosing your/my time, I've been through this... the same for those who know some good 3rd party NTFS file system driver(s)... that's NOT what I'm after, nor some "good" advices about other file systems, again: that's NOT my point... I'm looking for a way to (really...) activate the native NTFS write support that OS X has (or had until recently at least...)

Thanks in advance !

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 7:47 AM

8 replies

Aug 5, 2015 8:44 AM in response to KiltedTim

I know I'd be faster off using a 3rd party driver...

But it's unfair to say Apple's driver was not stable, it's been in use by MANY people for a long time, without any known major issue... If they changed something recently, they should at least communicate it, 'just respect for their customers...

And the current status is somehow unacceptable anyway... I'd say: make it work or take it away, don't leave 'experimental' stuff within a production OS... that's simply not professional.

I'll dig a bit into earlier OS X versions to see if I can see some changes...

Aug 5, 2015 9:08 AM in response to darkstar49

Apple has never officially supported write capability on NTFS drives. If you look around these forums, you can find somewhat complex Terminal commands to make it work.

But it's unsupported and undocumented for a reason - because it's unstable. As in, no guarantee you won't lose data.

Tuxera, as linked to above is one option that works. Another that costs less and is both well known and works is Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Or, if the purpose is to share data on external devices between the Mac and Windows, format them in Windows as exFAT. No extra drivers needed on either side for read/write access.

Aug 5, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Csound1

My point was rather to know what changed between 10.8.x, where this (i.e. the fstab entries) apparently worked as it should... and 10.10.x...

but I'm aware their driver is unsupported, it's just that that doesn't mean that it does not work... unless Apple decided to change something, I see no reason to think that a degradation would be 'normal'...

Aug 5, 2015 11:22 AM in response to darkstar49

darkstar49 wrote:

(i.e. the fstab entries) apparently worked as it should...

Apple never said that would work. It's not supported. It's not documented by Apple as working. Just because someone came up with a hack to make it work, more or less, on previous versions, doesn't mean you should expect it to work on future versions.

I see no reason to think that a degradation would be 'normal'...

Sorry. That's what happens when you come to rely on undocumented hacks. It's entirely "normal".

Aug 5, 2015 11:34 AM in response to KiltedTim

I'm not angry, just a bit disapointed...

I spent several years writing device drivers (profrssionnally), if I had implemented some undocumented features, and I knew someone was using it, I'd have done my best to keep it working... The NTFS driver that once worked has hardly become suddently incompatible... the whole mechanics around installable file system drivers remained compatible with all other drivers (Apple's and 3rd parties), so I'm wondering what happened to Apple's NTFS module...

but I guess I'm not gonna get any sound answer to that... ;-

Yosemite NTFS support ??????????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.