Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have Name Caller ID for my outgoing calls?

I'm switching my AT&T business phone to my iPhone, porting the number, joining the millions who are giving up their land lines.

One of the issues that bugs me is — my clients and suppliers will see only my phone number on their caller ID, not my name....

...Can this be changed? Verizon says no, but is there some kind of an app that will do the job?

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2017 7:59 AM

Verizon Wireless offers two separate but inter-related services for caller name identification. The first is Share Name ID where customers can opt-in to share their name with others who have caller name identification services. The second is Caller Name ID which identifies incoming callers by name and reputation (e.g., robocallers, spammers).

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2017 7:59 AM in response to mynameismyname

Verizon Wireless offers two separate but inter-related services for caller name identification. The first is Share Name ID where customers can opt-in to share their name with others who have caller name identification services. The second is Caller Name ID which identifies incoming callers by name and reputation (e.g., robocallers, spammers).

Aug 5, 2015 11:36 AM in response to mynameismyname

AT&T does happen to transmit my name as part of its caller ID from its cellular network. I have been an AT&T wireless customer since before the original iPhone was introduced, and this has always been true in my case. Land lines see my name and telephone number as part of my caller ID from my AT&T wireless phone (which is now an iPhone).

Anyway, ask AT&T about this service.

Aug 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim, that is very interesting. Maybe this behavior goes back to the heritage cellular company that I had before AT&T Wireless took them over. I recall when I started cellular service, it was with a company called L.A. Cellular. AT&T Wireless took over L.A. Cellular in 1999. So it could be that not all parts of AT&T Wireless behave the same.

Aug 5, 2015 11:52 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim, my caller ID on incoming calls to my iPhone works exactly the same as you've described. I don't believe a cellular phone calling my iPhone would provide caller name unless that person was in my contacts.

I admit this sounds strange ... why I would see a caller's name on a land line but not on a cellular phone.

UPDATE - It's been eight years, and I might be mistaken, but I'm trying to recall whether I saw a cellular caller's name on my pre-iPhone cellular phones. I think I did. But I could easily be mistaken.

Aug 5, 2015 12:58 PM in response to mynameismyname

mynameismyname wrote:

Hmmm.... That is utterly frustrating... AT&T can do what Verizon can not...

AT&T can do lots of things that Verizon can not. Up to 5 simultaneous voice calls, simultaneous voice and data while on a 3G network (Verizon can only do it if you are on LTE), control of caller ID visibility and call forwarding from the phone, etc... A lot of it has to do with the underlying network technology. Verizon is still hobbled by being a CDMA carrier.

Aug 5, 2015 1:12 PM in response to KiltedTim

I spent some time Googling it, and I actually found out that I CAN make my name appear on my recipient's screen (if they have that feature, of course)... Verizon calls it "Shared ID" and I was able to set it up thru my account on their website... It takes 24 hours to activate, their site says, so I'm excited to see the result (and I'll be back to report)... BTW, before finding out about this, I called Verizon to ask that and couple other questions. The agent said nope, you can't do it.

Have Name Caller ID for my outgoing calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.