Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp & win10

Would those of you who are brave enough to install win10 on their Mac post your story?

Would appreciate if you can list out the model of your Mac, brief summary of your configurations, version of your os x, bootcamp & bootcamp support software? Tx in advance.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Early 2009 Macbook White

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 8:40 PM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2015 5:44 AM in response to alecela

2011 MacBook Pro, Yosimite, 500GB SSD

I had WIn7 installed on a 100GB Bootcamp partition, booted into Win7 and upgraded to Win10 last night. Everything went fine with the upgrade, but the touchpad wasn't working. I tabbed around and couldn't find the Bootcamp utility anywhere to reboot into OSX or the folder to try to reinstall Bootcamp drivers. I tried restarting using various Mac shortcut keys for the Boot Manager, Recovery Manager, or Target/Alternate Disks, but Windows always came up. It appears that the Win10 upgrade completely wiped Bootcamp and the dual-boot capability. And of course my initial search to install the Bootcamp drivers/utility directly on Windows came up empty, with Apple only providing the option to download and run Bootcamp within OSX. This is still the early stages of my search though, so I may still find what I need to install on Windows.

So for now, beware about upgrading a Bootcamp partition in place. It might be better to download the iso from another Win10 computer and use your Product Key to install a fresh Windows from OSX onto the Bootcamp partition.

Aug 6, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Michael-1991

Ok, solution found.

The search bar near the Windows Start menu didn't return anything on the local computer named "Bootcamp", so I thought it was deleted from the system during upgrade. After browsing the system drive under Program Files, I found the Bootcamp folder (sarcastic thanks to Microsoft Search). I was able to run the Bootcamp Agent and then restart into OSX. Once in OSX, I ran the Bootcamp Assistant to create a new Windows support flash drive where it downloaded all the latest drivers and installed them on the drive. I restarted back into Win10 but the setup.exe wouldn't run because it said it needed Win7. I'm not sure if this is because Bootcamp Assistant knew I had Win7 previously or because that is the highest Bootcamp supports at the moment. So I went into the drivers folder and installed the x64 drivers one at a time. It now looks like everything is working and the Bootcamp Assistant auto-starts again.

I would have the flash drive ready with the Bootcamp files before starting the Win10 upgrade. Hope this helps others who are contemplating an in-place upgrade.

Aug 28, 2015 2:27 AM in response to alecela

Alecela, did you then go back to OSX and re-download the bootcamp drivers to install in Windows 10? I admit that I hadn't tried the F11/F12 keys, but I do know that the Bootcamp drivers were recently updated and the only way to get them is to go through the Bootcamp USB drive creation process again in OSX. All the little bugs were corrected after I did that.

Good luck.

Aug 29, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Michael-1991

Michael, did you download the bootcamp driver by doing update via AppStore or you actually manually download the new bootcamp drivers somewhere? As I mentioned above, reading the doc for Bootcamp6 led me to believe that my machine is too old to be supported by bc6 hence when I tried to update via AppStore, I got nothing and my bootcamp remains at 5.1.4. However, if you think bootcamp6 could work w/ my machine and have a link for me to do the manual download, I'm willing to give it a try... Tx again for the response.

Aug 30, 2015 8:33 AM in response to alecela

I apologize for the late response. No, I used the Boot Camp Assistant found in the Applications/Utilities which downloaded the most current drivers and installed them on a thumb drive. Once done, I rebooted into Windows, navigated to the thumb drive and installed the drivers manually, one at a time (video, sound, trackpad, etc.) because the setup.exe would not run on Windows 10 (it wanted Windows 7). You may want to try to run the setup.exe first to see if it will work for you. Good luck.

Bootcamp & win10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.