Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 and iTunes not responding when iPhone Plugged in

Hi

I've just installed Windows 10 (no idea why i did it) and now when I start up iTunes (both normal and safe mode) it works ok, but as soon as I plug in my iPhone 6 into the USB port the iTunes app ceases up and I have to kill it using Task Manager.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated (apart from being told to roll back the Windows Operating System )

thx in advance

iPhone 6 Plus, Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 4:48 PM

Can somebody please help with this question, I can see a lot of similar questions about iTunes and Windows 10 and the main question is to Apple, does iTunes support Windows 10?

If so what version should I install?

At this point I have uninstalled Windows 10 and back to Windows 8.1 and everything is working again. It is continually asking me to upgrade but wont move until satisfied that iTunes (v12.2.1.16) or other version will work.

Again in advance any help is much appreciated

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2015 4:48 PM in response to brian_lufc

Can somebody please help with this question, I can see a lot of similar questions about iTunes and Windows 10 and the main question is to Apple, does iTunes support Windows 10?

If so what version should I install?

At this point I have uninstalled Windows 10 and back to Windows 8.1 and everything is working again. It is continually asking me to upgrade but wont move until satisfied that iTunes (v12.2.1.16) or other version will work.

Again in advance any help is much appreciated

Aug 7, 2015 7:33 PM in response to brian_lufc

I am having the same issue but with an iPod touch and no one seems to be able to help me. When did yours occur? When I installed windows 10 the other week it all worked fine I was able to sync songs on my iPod no issue but it all went down hill last Tuesday. It is ridiculous you would think that they would fix this issue by now with an update or something.

Aug 8, 2015 5:50 PM in response to brian_lufc

I was on the phone well over an hour with Apple today and I also have issues after raising a new HP starting with an upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. When I plug in my IPhone 5s, it goes crazy, buzzing wildly and finally throwing an error 0xE800084, also 0xE8000004, and another was 0xE8000056. It is an unknown error. We did very carefully scripted uninstall and re-install of ITunes for this Win10 on my 64bit HP mini desktop, but the problem persists. plan to try to call Microsoft to see if there is some messed up driver, though what I could see on the computer looked ok. I sent the image to Apple for review on their end. I never could hook with MS as I was on hold for well over an hour. This is not fun, but I cannot tell if it is Apple or Microsoft issue.

Aug 8, 2015 6:31 PM in response to TigerApple1

I can't believe with something as basic as this either Apple or MS cannot put out a statement whether iTunes is supported and tested under Windows 10. In my circumstances I'm not asking it to do anything special, just plugging in iPhone 6 (latest technology) to iTunes (latest version) on a latest spec ASUS laptop. Needless to say one company will blame the other..... Pretty lousy service by both companies...

MS asked for feedback on the upgrade which I gave in spades... and no doubt will hear nothing of it.

thx for your help

Sep 12, 2015 2:57 PM in response to brian_lufc

I was on the phone well over an hour with Apple today and I also have issues after raising a new HP starting with an upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10. When I plug in my IPhone 5s, it goes crazy, buzzing wildly and finally throwing an error 0xE800084, also 0xE8000004, and another was 0xE8000056. It is an unknown error. We did very carefully scripted uninstall and re-install of ITunes for this Win10 on my 64bit HP mini desktop, but the problem persists. This is not fun, but I cannot tell if it is Apple or Microsoft issue. UPDATE !!

I found these simple steps in a blog somewhere and tried. The recommendation was to set a read-only attribute to allow read-write (in effect).

IT WORKED!!

Oh my gosh, that was too easy!

I think each person's problem could be unique, but this is one simple, and virtually harmless item to check.

1. Open Windows Explorer
  2. Head to the Music folder
  3. Right click on your iTunes folder
  4. Go to Properties
  5. Uncheck the Read Only option under Atrributes

Windows 10 and iTunes not responding when iPhone Plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.