Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation disk utilities cannot mount a start up disk

I divided my hard disk in two volumes. One volume is for Tiger OS 10.4.11 and second volume is for Jaguar OS 10.2.1.

I went to Jaguar to troubleshoot a Safari problem from the Tiger volume. It was something wrong with BSD files.

Then after disk utility repairs I tried to change back the start up disk to Tiger volume. But from the installation disk

of Jaguar it was not possible to mount another volume.

I need help with this matter. I have Ted Landau's book of Mac OS X disaster relief but I couldn't find any help.

I presume that with Unix commands one can solve the problem in single user mode. Second guess would be

with the Terminal utility to issue a shell command.

Is anybody able to solve this problem ?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 867 mghz,40 GB HD,762 MB RAM

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 3:03 PM

Hold down the option key at startup for boot volume selection (startup manager).

Normally don't use an older version of Disk Utility to repair a newer operating system.

Only use Mac OS X 10.4-compatible disk utilities with Mac OS X 10.4 volumes - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2648

You can use Disk Utility in Mac OS X 10.3.9—and only Mac OS X 10.3.9—to check or repair a Mac OS X 10.4 volume (Disk Utility version 10.4.4 v145.7). Don't use an earlier version of Disk Utility, such as when started from a Mac OS X 10.3.0 disc.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2015 3:03 PM in response to WETFEET

Hold down the option key at startup for boot volume selection (startup manager).

Normally don't use an older version of Disk Utility to repair a newer operating system.

Only use Mac OS X 10.4-compatible disk utilities with Mac OS X 10.4 volumes - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2648

You can use Disk Utility in Mac OS X 10.3.9—and only Mac OS X 10.3.9—to check or repair a Mac OS X 10.4 volume (Disk Utility version 10.4.4 v145.7). Don't use an earlier version of Disk Utility, such as when started from a Mac OS X 10.3.0 disc.

Installation disk utilities cannot mount a start up disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.