Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Video Ram

Hi there, Im getting ready to sell my iBook G4 1.33ghz and i have quite some work to do. One being Video ram. It only has 32mb. Has ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics. Any help would be appreciated.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), PowerBook 6,5

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 6:04 AM

5 replies

Aug 7, 2015 7:29 AM in response to aneale2310

Wait, I was looking on apple's tech page and selected the ibook g4, late 2004 which is what mine is, and I fount this.

Graphics support

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB of dedicated video memory and AGP 4X support

When it says dedicated, wouldn't that mean there is a chip mounted on the motherboard somewhere? Or does it mean that it takes from the 256 mb ram that I have installed beneath the keyboard. (I have 256 built in and the 256mb under the keyboard which is where it is located on my model.)

Aug 7, 2015 7:44 AM in response to aneale2310

aneale2310 wrote:

Wait, I was looking on apple's tech page and selected the ibook g4, late 2004 which is what mine is, and I fount this.

Graphics support

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB of dedicated video memoryand AGP 4X support

When it says dedicated, wouldn't that mean there is a chip mounted on the motherboard somewhere? Or does it mean that it takes from the 256 mb ram that I have installed beneath the keyboard. (I have 256 built in and the 256mb under the keyboard which is where it is located on my model.)

The video system uses RAM. On your model the dedicated video memory is soldered onto the video system on the logic board. The CPU has it's own RAM that isn't shared with the graphics system.

I believe the term for graphics cards that share RAM with the CPU's RAM is 'integrated' graphics, like on older Mac Mini's…

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/faq_core/mac-mini-intel-integrate d-graphics-inferior.html

To be honest it doesn't really matter either way, both types of video chip are soldered on and not replaceable.

Upgrade Video Ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.