Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes has 2 taskbar icons when pinned and open. Upinning does not work, they are both identified as the same program.

I frequently use the iTunes toolbar (the little player that sits on your taskbar). However, yesterday I brought iTunes out of its toolbar mode and was horrified to find that it had made a separate icon on my taskbar, and the one pinned to my taskbar was dormant.

I tried the usual "unpin the original icon and pin the new one" trick, but to no avail. They're both identified as the same, and both give me the option to unpin.

I'm running Windows 10, if that helps (although I doubt this is an issue with Windows 10 specifically).

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 9:14 AM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Phil0124

Really? That would've been my last guess. I've had Windows 10 since release, and this issue only appeared yesterday.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to use the Start Menu to open iTunes until Apple fixes it (or if they fix it, I doubt Windows 10 compatibility is something important to Apple, unfortunately).

Aug 6, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Ian PK

As with every Windows version, Apple will eventually get around to issuing updates to all their software that runs on windows. This is not the first Windows update, and its not going to be the last.

It only started happening to me when I updated to Windows 10. When running Windows 8.1 it was working fine, so i guess its something to do with 10.

Even removing and re-installing iTunes does not fix it.

Aug 29, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Phil0124

I agree this is some sort of glitch in Windows 10. Another of my programs, Mozilla Firefox, started behaving the same way (dual icons on task bar) immediately after I installed Windows 10. That and iTunes are the only two programs I've encountered with this problem; all of my other programs -- the ones I have pinned to the task bar -- do not exhibit this problem.

Lots of suggestions out there for ways to fix this problem, but none of the suggestions so far have worked for me. So I wait and hope Microsoft and/or Apple will fess up and fix this.

This bug is especially annoying because the 'extra' icon always appears to the right of the other pinned icons, with the 'underline' to indicate the program is running. If the original icon is on the left side of the pinned icons, you may not notice the extra icon at the far right, conclude that the program is not running, and end up launching the program a second time. That's not a problem with iTunes -- you can only have one version of iTunes running at a time -- but it is a problem with programs like Firefox, where clicking the icon a second time will launch a second copy of the program in its own window.

iTunes has 2 taskbar icons when pinned and open. Upinning does not work, they are both identified as the same program.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.