Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed for changing through different sounds in a preset

I need help, advice or thoughts for my Mainstage setup please.

I use MS for live gigs.

—————————

Software :

Mainstage 3.1.1

OSX 10.10.4

Ableton Live 9.2.1

Hardware connected through a Belkin USB Hub :

Roland A 800 PRO (USB power) i use this for Mainstage

AKAI LPD 8 (USB) i use this for Ableton Live - playing scenes, master volume and for FX

Behringer Xenyx X1622 (USB)

—————————

I have a live gig setup with more songs

I load each song in Live manually - when one is finished i load the next

I use Live for playing loops, beats and other parts and also sending a prg change over IAC bus to Mainstage for each song.

In MS i have a Concert with presets for each song - each containing up to 4 sounds, 1 sound on each track 1-4, the sounds have it´s own midi ch (1-4) and on my controller keyboard, Nordlead 3, (it´s not a typical controller keyboard, but thats what i had) i have 4 parts, A, B, C and D (with midi ch 1-4) i can easy select part A, B, C or D and thereby switch fast through the sounds for each song) - pressing the A part button i would have a Rhodes (midi ch 1), pressing the B part button(midi ch 2) i would have a moog lead sound and so on.

Now i want to use another controller keyboard with much better keys - the Roland A 800 PRO. Its also a very nice programming GUI with the Editor, but it doesn´t have the featuer with 4 buttons with each own midi ch as Nordlead 3, so my question is :

How do i make a concert with more presets (one for each song) each containing up to 4 sounds which i can switch between with a simple midi controller change ?

I have tried to make all sounds the same midi ch and using pads to send out midi commands to make each sound solo - buts there should be a better way.

If you have any thoughts or ideas i would be very happy to hear about it.

thanks in advance

Henning Flintholm

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 2:29 PM

15 replies

Aug 6, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Henning Flintholm

I use "Program change commands"....I programed a group of buttons on my controller to send each send out a patch change number for direct access. I then mapped the other 2 buttons to up and down....so I can recall the good stuff directly, and scroll to the rest.

Make your patches in main stage with the splits you desire, and then assign each one a patch change number.

Aug 6, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Nomad_76

Hi Nomad

Thanx for a fast response

I have thought about the PRG change command - but i find it not so good because : i use the prg. change already from Live for choosing a preset in MS of up to 4 sounds for each song, and i have a total of maybe 20 different sounds for my whole gig-setup so if i use 2 buttons for prog up/down i would sometimes have to press many times in order to get from sound 1 to sound 20 - furthermore i would like to have the monitor of my Macbook showing Ableton Live and not Mainstage - meaning i would like to have 4 buttons on my controller where i can select the 4 sounds very fast without having to use a graphic feedback as the MS screen.

My wish is that i can switch between each of the 4 sounds in each every preset in MS with 4 buttons.

EX:

I load a new song in Live, press a button on my controller to send out a scene from Live containing only a PRG change over the IAC bus to MS in order to have the right sounds ready. Then i want to use 4 buttons on my controller to switch between the 4 sounds i have setup in MS.

Maybe i misunderstand you, and if then please answer

thanx ;-)

Aug 7, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Henning Flintholm

Well Matt I'm far from an expert, just got ideals.....

How about this one:

• Make a set up layered patches with your 4 sounds....Assign a mute button to each of your 4 controller buttons. Use that to select which sound is playing.
  • Now assign that patch a unique program change number that can be sent out from live to load it up.
  • You can even make alias of some patches if needed to be reused.
  • I would think that you could also assign the buttons to bypass or whatever.

-----------

Sidenote: How do you like using live with MainStage? I would hate to learn another DAW, but is it worth it? The rig I use is for a band. I play live tracks along with backing tracks. I desire the ability to remix and loop on the fly.

Aug 7, 2015 8:53 AM in response to Nomad_76

It´s always good wit some creative ideas ;-)

I did already try to make a patch with the 4 sounds stacked on the same midi ch and then assign the 4 buttons to the solo function on each track, but (unfortunately) it´s possible to solo more than 1 track, meaning that i would still have to make more button pressures - maybe it´s a luxury problem, but still not the optimal solution (i believe that the mute function idea would work like the solo function in this scenario)

About a DAW, i have been using Logic since the very first version and i love it for composing, arranging and producing, but Ableton Live is a perfect tool for playing midi and audio parts live, what Logic isn´t really suited for. I don't use the playback function i MS because i find Live super and it´s also not so hard to learn Live.

thanx for your input :-)

Aug 7, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Henning Flintholm

For the mutes, you can stack multiple mappings to a single button....Then you can have a saved state for each patch. Also Inverse the button parameter range on the buttons you want to turn on instead of off.

• Pick a Button
  • Add a Extra Map for each one of the channels (Add Mapping)
  • Assign the mappings to the mutes, 1 for each channel
  • On each channel set the Saved Value to "----" for channels you want on, and "Mute" for channels you want off
  • Then Check "Invert Parameter Range" for the buttons you want to un mute when you press the button.
  • Button 1 : Ch1-On, Ch2,Ch3,Ch4 - off
  • Button 2: Ch1-off, Ch2-On, Ch3, Ch4 - off
  • etc...

I tried this out, and it worked for using one button to mute some tracks and un mute others.

I might try live, a have a free version that I've never used. I love logic too. It is my goto DAW.

Aug 10, 2015 2:21 AM in response to Henning Flintholm

it´s a very nice suggestion you have made - thank you very much.

I have some questions though :

First of all, is it possible to save these mappings for the 4 buttons and copy them into another preset or do i have do the programming for each preset ? This would surely save a lot of time.

At the moment i have my controller keyboard buttons (Roland A 800 Pro) set to Latch mode and the mapping to “Momentary behavior” mode

It gives me another problem :

Ex: I Press button 1 (it ligths up because of the Latch-mode, which i like so i get a visual feedback of which channel/sound is selected) ch1is um-muted and 2,3 & 4 are muted - so far so good.

If i press the button 1 again (the second button press) all 4 channels/sounds play and next button press (third button press) will give me only 1 sound again. But i have to press the “button 1” 2 times in order to first make it play solo and then to switch it of (playing all 4 sounds) and then press the button 2,3 or 4 in order to give me the next sound i want.

Maybe it´s a luxury problem and a kind of trade off, but it would be nice if i could skip the 2´nd “button” press and go directly to button 2,3 or 4. Sometimes a have to make the switch very fast and there is a small margin for error here, meaning that all sounds will play instead of only one.

I think there is maybe a soloution if you work with a combination of mute and solo, and a combination of Invert Parameter Range, Momentary behavior and button Latch/Unlatch mode

Do you have any thoughts about this ?

Aug 11, 2015 2:00 AM in response to Henning Flintholm

I have tested the good suggestions from Nomad_76 and daFrimpster (thanx ;-) but have another problem now :

Controller Keyboard Roland A 800 PRO with 4 buttons (B1-B4) are programmed with midinotes (unlatch) 1,2,3 and 4 (ch 16)

I will use these buttons to select up to 4 different sounds in each of my MS-Patches.

In MS i have made 4 Buttons which are assigned to the 4 Controller Buttons B1-B4

In a MS Patch i have 4 synths on track 1-4 each on Midi Ch 1

I have set up the 4 buttons mapped to Bypass this way (with 4 Mappings for each Button):

Button 1 : Track 1 Bypass off , Track 2 Bypass on, Track 3 Bypass on, Track 4 Bypass on

Button 2 : Track 1 Bypass on, Track 2 Bypass off, Track 3 Bypass on, Track 4 Bypass on

and so on - this way only one Track is active at a time and the others are Bypassed

I have for Bypass ON/Off used these mappings :

Bypass Off :

Saved Value: - - -

Button On: - - -

Button Off: - - -

Invert Parameter Range and Momentary Behavior are not ticked

Bypass ON :

Saved Value: Bypassed

Button On: Bypassed

Button Off: Bypassed

Invert Parameter Range and Momentary Behavior are not ticked

Now everything works fine (apart from the unlatch buttons on the Controller Keyboard - the don´t stay lit and therefor you cant see which sound is active - i use the screen for Ableton Live and therefor MS runs in the background and is not visible - but i believe this is best with unlatch in order to avoid extra button presses to switch off the last pressed button, when you press a second button)

but…….

The MS buttons which are supposed to lit up when pressed (Red for active/ON and black for passive/Off) works this way :

When i press Button 1 on my Keyboard i hear only the synth from Track 1 and the others are bypassed and the MS button 1 is lit on as the only one - very good

Now i press Button 2 on my Keyboard and i only hear the synth from track 2 and the others are bypassed - very good, but now the MS button 2,3 and 4 are all lit up ???

The same happens when i press button 3 and 4 ???

Im can live with this strange visual feedback from these MS buttons, but i want to understand why this is happening - any ideas ?

Aug 11, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Henning Flintholm

I'm glad to see you working this one out!

Here are my thoughts:

I use a Maschine for my controller, and the buttons on my Impulse.

• Sometimes I have to change the button assignment on the controller - I use gate mode for a momentary release switch, and toggle for a button on / off light up function. But even with that, If I switch controller pages, and come back, the button light on the controller will align itself to the current state of the control that the button is representing, so if the control was off, but the controller button was on, then the button light will show on, and vice versa. To fix that, I just have to go onto the screen, and tap the button on the MS to align the MS button to the controller. Then its ok from there on out.
  • Also when the button is not functioning properly, I go to the layout page and play with the button's "Type" parameter. It seems there are several choices, and some choices work better than others....click on the button, then play with the type: like alternating, single, press release. Then try it out. If it works, then chalk it up as a win 🙂

Aug 30, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Henning Flintholm

So I'm not sure why you can't do your original setup with the Roland A-800?

All you have to do is reassign the buttons on the controller to transmit on different channels, and then it will be just like the old setup.

Or, if it transmits on all channels, you can just assign them by channel in Mainstage's Assignments and Mappings tab, and have it ignore the unwanted channels.

Aug 30, 2015 2:50 AM in response to Authentic Identity

Hi Authentic Identity

Thanx for keeping the discussion alive - it´s not really solved for me yet.

My old setup where i used the Nordlead 3 as master keyboard, had a feature i can´t make on the A-800. When i was selecting one of the 4 parts on NL3 it would send on the midi-ch for the part for the whole keyboard. If i have to change the setting for the base channel on A-800 i would have to use 4 different presets (each with a different ch) and switch with the data-encoder knob, but thats not fast and precise enough for fast switching through sounds. It´s not possible to make the A-800 change it´s base midi channel with just 1 keypress.

The NL3 setup worked like this :

Press Part A button : the keyboards send out midi on ch. 1

Press Part B button : the keyboard sends out midi on ch. 2

C Button > ch. 3 and D button > ch. 4

This was a very simple way to switch fast through 4 sounds

I will check out your you-tube link ;-)

nice regards

Henning Flintholm

Help needed for changing through different sounds in a preset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.