Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Classic OS 1991 - cool!

Hi Gang,

I found my old Mac Classic computer in my sister's attic, plugged it in and viola! It works! Except it doesn't.

The screen is just blank grey, although I can move the mouse pointer around, so I'm guessing the OS is not inside. It's been so long since I used it I forget everything (BTW, my first computer was the 512 bought around 1985). Anyone remember what OS is used in this Classic and perhaps where I can get disks?

Thanks,

Bruce

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 5:26 PM

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that this is the computer with the exact name Macintosh Classic, not just any "classic" Mac.

Normally, if the machine cannot locate a valid system folder, there would be a floppy icon with a flashing question-mark. Has that icon been seen or is the screen just grey?

Has the internal (logic board) battery been checked recently?

What happens if you try to start from the system in ROM? Start the computer and immediately press and hold the four keys Command(Apple) + Option + X + O.

System 7.0.1 (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/System_7.0.1.smi.bin) is one of the systems that can be used with a Macintosh Classic (with 2-4 MB RAM). Another working Mac (approx. 1991-1997) with a built-in (1.44 MB) floppy drive will be needed in order to create disks.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Bruce Conord

Hi,

It would probably be correct to assume that this is the computer with the exact name Macintosh Classic, not just any "classic" Mac.

Normally, if the machine cannot locate a valid system folder, there would be a floppy icon with a flashing question-mark. Has that icon been seen or is the screen just grey?

Has the internal (logic board) battery been checked recently?

What happens if you try to start from the system in ROM? Start the computer and immediately press and hold the four keys Command(Apple) + Option + X + O.

System 7.0.1 (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/System_7.0.1.smi.bin) is one of the systems that can be used with a Macintosh Classic (with 2-4 MB RAM). Another working Mac (approx. 1991-1997) with a built-in (1.44 MB) floppy drive will be needed in order to create disks.

Aug 6, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you for responding so quickly, Jan. Yes, it says "Classic" and I looked up the serial number to September 1991.

No icon appears at all, only the little arrow on a completely grey screen. I found a guy online that sells disks and lists like 15 different ones in 7 for this model. Any sense of whether the computer will work now that the Command/Option X & O doesn't do anything?

Bruce

Aug 7, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Bruce Conord

Bruce,

According to Mac Classic & SE Repair and Upgrade Secrets (ISBN 1-56609-022-9, page 193) by Larry Pina, a condition like the one that you described (also assuming that there is a startup sound) could be a bus issue related to a SCSI chip. Apparently, if in fact the problem, this could mean reflowing solder joints or replacing the SMD (surface mount device).

We should perhaps not rule out other things. It may not be a bad idea to have the logic board inspected. With the help of a magnifying glass, one can sometimes detect bad solder joints, leaking electrolytic capacitors and other faulty (for example, cracked or discoloured) components, etc. The 3.6 V logic board battery should be checked. Cables and memory modules can be disconnected/removed and then reconnected/reinstalled. A warning: All work inside a compact Mac is dangerous because of the high voltages involved, and must only be performed by someone with the necessary expertise. Charges may remain in certain sections even after the computer has been switched off and disconnected from the mains.

Jan

Mac Classic OS 1991 - cool!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.