Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to restore just a portion of my backup from itunes? / how to restore your phone with a backup that is larger than your phone's space capability

So I had an iphone 5s 32gb, but it was stolen and so I have been forced to go back to my old iphone 4s 16b. I would like to do a restoration of what was backed up from my 5s since I think that there are some pictures that might be on that back up. However, it won't let me restore my 4s with the backup since there's not enough room. Is there any way for me to see what is on the backup or to only choose certain things? The backup is probably like 20gb worth of data, and I really don't need all of that..I just want to restore the important things onto my phone.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4, with a 13' macbook pro

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 4:23 PM

2 replies

Aug 7, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Lauren808

You can do a general web search (as I would have to do) for backup extractors. These are commercial utilities which supposedly extract data files from backups (if you no longer have the files on the computer already). You would then restore as new with no backup and add the files again (I guess -- I have never done this).

Is there a way to restore just a portion of my backup from itunes? / how to restore your phone with a backup that is larger than your phone's space capability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.