Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync icloud mail with Windows 10 mail app

I an unable to sync my iCloud email to the built in Windows 10 mail app even though the mail app displays iCloud as a option. Any ideas?

Windows 8

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 11:29 AM

I had this problem too, but the app-specific password generator did the trick for me.

As my iCloud email is protected with Apple's two step verification, I needed an 'app-specific password' to sign into an app that's not provided by Apple, like Windows Mail which doesn't support entering verification codes.

Here's the steps (done via my laptop):

• sign into Apple ID with your iCloud email and password: https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage
  • if you're a two step verification user, your device (for me, my iPhone) will give you a verification code to enter after you put in your iCloud email password
  • in the 'Security' section, hit 'Edit'
  • in the 'App-Specific Passwords' section, hit 'Generate Password...'
  • enter a label for this password (I typed 'Windows 10 mail app')
  • hit 'Create'
  • an app-specific password will be created for you, in this format (case sensitive) tmah-jdbq-rdyy-gdes
  • copy the password and hit 'Done'
  • now open up Windows Mail > settings (cog icon) > manage accounts > select your iCloud account and enter your app-specific password then 'Save'

Your iCloud email should now start to appear. Despite spending days looking at the config settings, it seems Windows Mail pre-set config is correct, so you shouldn't need to change the incoming or outgoing email server settings:

Incoming email server: imap.mail.me.com:993:1

Outgoing (SMTP) email server: smtp.mail.me.com:587:1

I hope this helps someone. A word of warning though. If you change your primary Apple ID password, all your app-specific passwords will be automatically revoked and you'll need to generate a new one for any apps you want to keep using.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2016 11:29 AM in response to JediMstr

I had this problem too, but the app-specific password generator did the trick for me.

As my iCloud email is protected with Apple's two step verification, I needed an 'app-specific password' to sign into an app that's not provided by Apple, like Windows Mail which doesn't support entering verification codes.

Here's the steps (done via my laptop):

• sign into Apple ID with your iCloud email and password: https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage
  • if you're a two step verification user, your device (for me, my iPhone) will give you a verification code to enter after you put in your iCloud email password
  • in the 'Security' section, hit 'Edit'
  • in the 'App-Specific Passwords' section, hit 'Generate Password...'
  • enter a label for this password (I typed 'Windows 10 mail app')
  • hit 'Create'
  • an app-specific password will be created for you, in this format (case sensitive) tmah-jdbq-rdyy-gdes
  • copy the password and hit 'Done'
  • now open up Windows Mail > settings (cog icon) > manage accounts > select your iCloud account and enter your app-specific password then 'Save'

Your iCloud email should now start to appear. Despite spending days looking at the config settings, it seems Windows Mail pre-set config is correct, so you shouldn't need to change the incoming or outgoing email server settings:

Incoming email server: imap.mail.me.com:993:1

Outgoing (SMTP) email server: smtp.mail.me.com:587:1

I hope this helps someone. A word of warning though. If you change your primary Apple ID password, all your app-specific passwords will be automatically revoked and you'll need to generate a new one for any apps you want to keep using.

Dec 13, 2015 6:31 AM in response to admrjosh

Same issue here. Windows 10 Mail won't sync with my iCloud account.

Oddly enough, the linked Windows 10 Calendar app does connect to my iCloud account so it's not a credentials problem (I use app-specific passwd since I use two-factor), Could be a SSL vs TLS issue since Win10 Mail does not give those options for secure access to IMAP and SMTP.

Unable to sync icloud mail with Windows 10 mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.