Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unrecoverable system hangs when accessing website

Beginning last night, I've been experiencing a system hang when accessing the Amazon website using Safari 7.1.7, and I can't figure out if the problem is the site or my Mac. The hang is reproducible and essentially bricks my Mac. The only way to recover is to hold the power button and force the Mac to power off.

The system hangs a few seconds after the site loads. Here's what follows:

Everything on the screen is frozen, except the cursor.

The cursor is frequently responsive, but is otherwise useless. When the cursor isn't responsive, it disappears from the screen.

Sometimes when the site loads the banner across the top of the webpage just below the dark navigation ribbon is a jumbled mess of colored confetti.

The entire screen "blinks" black for a fraction of a second, every few seconds.

The system log is showing the following lines multiple times, and not always in the this order (note: timestamps removed):

kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x23 = Video Engine Error (MSPDEC Error)

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = DMA Engine Error (FIFO Error 8)

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[641]: VADriver: Channel timeout (kernel), ch = 3

com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[641]: VADriver: Channel timeout (client), ch = 3

kernel[0]: process com.apple.WebKit[641] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 4622; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 46779

I've tried the following, but none solves the problem:

Logging in to a different user account (including the Guest account)

Disabling all Safari Extensions

Safe Boot

Reinstalling Mavericks using Recovery

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (formerly Adware Medic) but it found nothing. I also booted from the original gray system disc and ran Apple Hardware Test, but it reported no problems.

I have found two workarounds: disable Javascript in Safari, or use Firefox (and Firefox works with Javascript on). I should also mention that

booting the Mac into Snow Leopard and accessing the site using Safari 5.0.6 doesn't show the problem. These lead me to think that the website has a compatibility problem with Safari on Mavericks, as of last night, and if so, I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I've tried several other websites and I'm not seeing the problem elsewhere. I have sent an email to Amazon customer support but haven't heard back from them as of yet.

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Eric

OS X 10.9.5, Safari 7.1.7, Macmini3,1

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Macmini3,1

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 1:44 AM

23 replies

Aug 7, 2015 8:35 AM in response to ericln67

Same problem here. Just started today. Reproducible from a clean boot. Mine seems to occur after typing into the amazon search text box... I get about one word typed before it locks up. Cursor moves intermittently, but screen never repaints. Occasional screen flicker.

Yosemite 10.10.4

Safari 8.0.7

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

Aug 7, 2015 12:56 PM in response to ericln67

Hi,

I'm seeing the exact same issues reported by ericln67 on my system.

When trying to access amazon.com using Safari the screen will get all scrambled and the whole system will hang.

I also did some testing and found that both Safari (Version 7.1.7 (9537.85.16.12) and Firefox (version 40.0) will crash when a specific ad, present on amazon's website, appears on the screen.

My first thought was that the problem would be related to a recent flash update that I did.

Because of that, I uninstalled the flash plugin from my system but the problem persisted.

I also tried updating to Yosemite but the problem still persisted.

The only solution I found, so far, is to use Chrome to access the site.

As far as I know, chrome is using a different engine from Safari and Firefox and that might be the reason for that browser to be working while the other two are crashing.

In summary, for my system, the same issue is happening on Safari and Firefox regardless of the OS in use (Mavericks or Yosemite).

For the record I'm on a 13-inch Mid 2009 MacBook Pro.

The relevant selection of my logs, while running Firefox and Safari on OSX 10.9.5, are below:

Firefox just before the crash:

8/6/15 11:05:14.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x23 = Video Engine Error (MSPDEC Error)

8/6/15 11:05:24.044 PM plugin-container[517]: VADriver: Channel timeout (client), ch = 3

8/6/15 11:05:52.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 11:05:52.049 PM plugin-container[517]: VADriver: Channel timeout (kernel), ch = 3

8/6/15 11:06:10.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = DMA Engine Error (FIFO Error 8)

8/6/15 11:06:12.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 11:06:14.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x24 = Video Engine Error (MSPPP Error)

8/6/15 11:06:14.000 PM kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart

8/6/15 11:06:14.090 PM WindowServer[102]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Console" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

8/6/15 11:06:14.100 PM WindowServer[102]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Console" after 22.05 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 22.04 seconds)

8/6/15 11:06:15.151 PM WindowServer[102]: CGXGetConnectionProperty: Invalid connection 45583

Safari, just before the crash:

8/6/15 10:15:52.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x23 = Video Engine Error (MSPDEC Error)

8/6/15 10:15:52.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x23 = Video Engine Error (MSPDEC Error)

8/6/15 10:16:02.076 PM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[386]: VADriver: Channel timeout (client), ch = 3

8/6/15 10:16:30.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 10:16:30.086 PM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[386]: VADriver: Channel timeout (kernel), ch = 3

8/6/15 10:16:31.000 PM kernel[0]: process com.apple.WebKit[386] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

8/6/15 10:16:36.000 PM kernel[0]: process WindowServer[98] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

8/6/15 10:16:39.474 PM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[386]: VADriver: Channel timeout (client), ch = 3

8/6/15 10:16:44.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = DMA Engine Error (FIFO Error 8)

8/6/15 10:16:50.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 10:17:18.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 10:17:18.000 PM kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart

8/6/15 10:17:38.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 10:17:58.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

8/6/15 10:17:58.121 PM WindowServer[98]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Console" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

8/6/15 10:18:06.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(Video): Channel exception! exception type = 0x23 = Video Engine Error (MSPDEC Error)

8/6/15 10:18:47.000 PM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1438910327 0

Aug 7, 2015 12:58 PM in response to ericln67

My father called me with the same issue running Mountain Lion (10.8) and Safari 6.1.1. Same thing on my Mac running Mavericks (10.9) and Safari 7.1.7.

It seems to be something with the banner on the front page. We both get a corrupt image as one of the banners and then things hang.

User uploaded file

If you bypass the front page (say, by Googling a product, going to that page, and then going from there) it seems that the rest of Amazon works. So it seems the banner is the culprit. Also, if you turn off Javascript the front page works without crashing.

It does look like Amazon is aware of the issue.

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Biker4Mac

I hope that Apple takes note of this problem and coordinates with Amazon to eliminate within Safari the effects of what I think we all agree is a problem situation. Just removing the problem from the Amazon site would still allow anyone with malicious intent to spread the same or a similar construct through any number of Internet sites and cause users everywhere no end of grief.

Again, the real problem may be in the constructs or lack of limitations of instructions in HTML5 (?). I remember uncovering a situation long ago where decrementing a "1" in a register by 1 resulted in setting the register to negative zero (all ones), and then treating that as a positive number – in a 30-bit-word machine. Think of taking your last penny out of a bank account that you wanted to close and then being told a month later that you are a millionaire, and owed income taxes on all that money.

Aug 7, 2015 10:42 PM in response to ericln67

Thanks everyone for the information! At least I now know that what I'm seeing is not a problem with my Mac's GPU or logic board, as I had at first feared. I spent some time on a live chat with an Amazon representative today, and gave her the URL of this thread. Among the many things she said was that Amazon has heard from other Safari users about this issue and that their "technical team" (direct quote) is looking into it. I'll post a followup when I hear from them again, hopefully that they fixed the problem.

I agree with OldTomBank that Apple should be involved. The evidence seems to point to an issue in how Safari/Webkit/OS X is handling the file, and even after Amazon fixes things the issue could pop up on some other website and affect the Mac community again.

Aug 18, 2015 7:43 AM in response to ericln67

2015.08.18 Well, it's back again. Amazon has a newly designed entry page, but this one has another of those cycling picture ads which is doing the same freeze thing. I'm getting around it by setting the URL for my Top Sites page thumbnail to go to Amazon entry to <https://smile.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html/ref=nav_youraccount_ya>. That bypasses the normal Amazon entry page that Google will take you to, The cited URL takes you to the "Your Accounts" page, and also takes a pittance of any order you place with Amazon and donates it to charity (no additional cost to you). Note that it doesn't reveal your account information.

Aug 18, 2015 3:13 PM in response to ericln67

Same issue here on Amazon, but was detected in Firefox 40.0.2 (latest available today) before I even tried Safari 8.0.8. Firefox and Safari use different rendering engines so Safari can't be the (only) culprit, but it could be a system service shared by those browsers.

In reading through the above reports, I notice several common threads:

• 2009-era computers. (I have a Macmini 3,1 from early 2009.)
  • Nvidia 9400 and 9600 series video chipsets. (I also see NVDA items in my Console messages.)
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), 10.9.5 (Mavericks), or 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

In regards to the timing of this emerging issue, note that Apple released an update for all three OS's above on August 13. Among the release notes (About the OS X Yosemite v10.10.5 Update - Apple Support), notice that it "Fixes an issue in QuickTime Player that prevented playback of Windows Media files". QuickTime is a Mac system service, in addition to being an application, so in summary it seems logical that:

• The Mac OS X 10.x.5 update broke, rather than fixed, Windows Media playback for those with an Nvidia 9x00 series video chipsets.
  • The solution might be an Nvideo 9x00 series driver update from Apple, working with Nvidia.

Why not directly from Nvidia? Because these were custom chipsets made for Apple, and I'm sure the two companies worked together on the drivers. I would NOT recommend installing Nvidia's public drivers, as you could seriously interfere with normal display, which is much more risky and disruptive than attempting to restore the display of a specific mp4 on Amazon's site.

Aug 18, 2015 8:56 PM in response to kiloweson

Thanks everyone for your input.. I filed a bug report with Apple back on Aug 8. They replied on Aug 11 and asked me to run sysdiagnose in Terminal and upload the resulting archive file. I ran the tool twice--the first time I forced the hang to occur by going to the suspect URL above in Safari while the tool was running, and the second time after a reboot. I also took a photo of the screen during the hang with a handheld camera and uploaded that too. No word back from Apple so far since those uploads on Aug 12, though.

Unrecoverable system hangs when accessing website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.