Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus screen acted odd & finally cracked

My iPhone 6 Plus had been acting odd after I updated to iOS 8.4.

When I tried to use the phone, I couldn't log into the Home screen from the Login screen due to the login numbers not being able to be typed. It was as though the screen detection to finger taps were off by a few microns or so. Since there is no finger to screen adjustment tool that I know of, it was very frustrating to even be able to access the phone when someone would call.

The phone had been working perfectly before. It's always been in a protective case and is never sat on or bent.

I did find a way to somehow get the phone to be accessible by either taking it out of a protective rubberized case and slightly bending the phone or doing so while the phone was in the case. There was about an 80% success rate the icon buttons would work. Very, very frustrating... you could see a fuzzy white line at the top of the screen when it wasn't aligned correctly.

Yesterday, I made a phone call and placed the phone (in case) in my pocket. I then wanted to listen to some music and the screen's glass was shattered. I didn't drop the phone... really, I didn't. I will go to the local Apple Store today and hopefully get a replacement without being charged.

It appears to me to be an engineering design flaw. Perhaps it has something to do with humidity and hotter summer temperatures and the glass slightly expands too much.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 7:44 AM

9 replies

Aug 7, 2015 1:06 PM in response to KiltedTim

I didn't drop the phone. There was no impact.

In order to actually use the phone, I had to slightly bend it to work. This was after restarting many times and other troubleshooting efforts.

Have you ever tried to use a phone that you can't log on to to make a basic phone call? You press on the login screen and get nothing. Zip. Nada.

It's obviously a design flaw.

Aug 9, 2015 10:15 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for your concern trolling. Beauty.

Try this little experiment and see what you do.

1. Pick up your phone. Try to log into the phone with the access code. Imagine the buttons don't work.
  2. Pick up the phone. If you can log in, try pressing on an icon to launch an app. Notice that nothing happens.
  3. Pick up the phone. After logging on (if you can), try making a phone call. You can't.

So what do you do? Put the phone down, yawn and go get a Pepsi?

Don't bother responding. Please.

Aug 9, 2015 11:06 AM in response to JPMII

Sorry, but your refusal to accept reality does not make me a troll.

If I have a problem I troubleshoot it in a logical way. If I can't solve it with software, I take it in for service. I don't try bending and abusing it to see if that makes it work, just like I don't smack the side of the TV when the cable goes out in an effort to try and get it working again.

You are more than welcome to try and make your case to Apple. Don't be shocked when they tell you you have to pay.

Aug 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to JPMII

JPMII wrote:

I didn't drop the phone. There was no impact.

In order to actually use the phone, I had to slightly bend it to work. This was after restarting many times and other troubleshooting efforts.

Have you ever tried to use a phone that you can't log on to to make a basic phone call? You press on the login screen and get nothing. Zip. Nada.

It's obviously a design flaw.

It may be a manufacturing flaw in rush to get x number of phones ready for roll out -- part made by jobber shop may have been too big in the number of hairs with - causing problems with the touch screen - requiring pressure to get it to work over time causing a weak spot in the screen to get worse until it finally just cracked--- if apple will not fix or replace -- there is a new specific set of stores starting with IDROP -- where the screen replacement is 1/2 of what apple charges.

Sep 10, 2015 8:42 AM in response to JPMII

I ended up paying for the glass to be replaced and was accused of dropping the phone, which I did not. Whatever. I was very disappointed with the Apple Madison WI store service in general. OK, new glass on the phone...

Then the phone started acting up again. The same issues of the touchscreen not working and when you click on an app icon, you'd get either the app on top or the bottom of the chosen app icon. The phone button didn't work. Increasingly, there was some white static on top of the screen that showed some serious internal errors.

The solution was to slightly bend the phone again to get the white static to stop. It got worse.

I was in Boston when the phone literally was randomly opening and closing apps by itself as if it was hacked by some interloper. I went to the Apple Store there and the genius tech immediately said it was the logic board connections near the top that were causing the behavior. I was immediately issued a replacement phone (that I got a couple days later) and in order to actually turn off the "Find My Phone" app, we were both laughing at just how hard it was to do with the phone seeming like it needed an exorcist.

The new phone is fine. No issues. No muss no fuss... ( knock on wood :-> )

iPhone 6 Plus screen acted odd & finally cracked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.