Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues taking songs off my iPhone using iTunes? Was so easy before now only way is to use phone and do it individually. You could do it with a click of a mouse on iTunes before

There used to be a screen on music summary in iTunes where you could go in a click this album or this song. You could unclick it and it would be removed from iphone/ipad. Easy to add songs to iphone/ipad but I can't figure out how to remove songs from my iPhone/ipad using iTunes. Is that option gone now?

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 8:02 AM

Hey hopper74,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you want to manually manage music on your iOS devices using iTunes as you've done in the past.

Have you recently signed up for Apple Music or iTunes Match? If so, you won't have the option to manually manage music in iTunes, as mentioned in Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

If you're a member of Apple Music or have an iTunes Match subscription, you have iCloud Music Library turned on. When you have iCloud Music Library turned on, you can't manually manage music.

If you're not using Apple Music or iTunes Match, make sure that iTunes is set up to manually manage music using the steps below.

Check to make sure that the "Manually manage music and videos" option is turned on:

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Locate and click on your device.
    User uploaded file
  4. In the left sidebar, click Summary.
  5. Scroll down to the Options section.
  6. Click the box next to "Manually manage music and videos."
    User uploaded file
  7. Click Apply.

You might see a message that your device is synced with another library. This means that you've used a different computer to sync your device in the past, and iTunes can't sync without first erasing and replacing all iTunes content on your device.

To remove songs from your iOS devices using iTunes, see these steps from iTunes 12 for Mac: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad:

Remove items from your device

Make sure your device is connected, then do one of the following:

Remove an item that was synced automatically: Do any of the following, then sync your device:

• Deselect the checkbox for the item in your iTunes library, and select “Sync only checked [items]” in the Summary pane.

• If the item was added because it’s part of a synced playlist, remove the item from the playlist.

• Change your sync settings to keep the item from being synced.

Remove an item that was added manually or using Autofill: Click On My Device, select an item (or items), press the Delete key, and click Delete.

Sincerely.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2015 8:02 AM in response to hopper74

Hey hopper74,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you want to manually manage music on your iOS devices using iTunes as you've done in the past.

Have you recently signed up for Apple Music or iTunes Match? If so, you won't have the option to manually manage music in iTunes, as mentioned in Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

If you're a member of Apple Music or have an iTunes Match subscription, you have iCloud Music Library turned on. When you have iCloud Music Library turned on, you can't manually manage music.

If you're not using Apple Music or iTunes Match, make sure that iTunes is set up to manually manage music using the steps below.

Check to make sure that the "Manually manage music and videos" option is turned on:

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  3. Locate and click on your device.
    User uploaded file
  4. In the left sidebar, click Summary.
  5. Scroll down to the Options section.
  6. Click the box next to "Manually manage music and videos."
    User uploaded file
  7. Click Apply.

You might see a message that your device is synced with another library. This means that you've used a different computer to sync your device in the past, and iTunes can't sync without first erasing and replacing all iTunes content on your device.

To remove songs from your iOS devices using iTunes, see these steps from iTunes 12 for Mac: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad:

Remove items from your device

Make sure your device is connected, then do one of the following:

Remove an item that was synced automatically: Do any of the following, then sync your device:

• Deselect the checkbox for the item in your iTunes library, and select “Sync only checked [items]” in the Summary pane.

• If the item was added because it’s part of a synced playlist, remove the item from the playlist.

• Change your sync settings to keep the item from being synced.

Remove an item that was added manually or using Autofill: Click On My Device, select an item (or items), press the Delete key, and click Delete.

Sincerely.

Sep 9, 2015 9:49 AM in response to jeremy_v

I guess what has me confused is ... how does Apple think we are supposed to cope when (a) we have signed up for Apple music but (b) are form time to time without wifi or cellular data access. You know weird stuff like vacations. Surely it's reasonable to have a subset of one's library physically on the device to cover such situations?

Dec 22, 2015 5:50 AM in response to jeremy_v

I went to the Apple Store in Bellevue about a month ago because my iPod was not showing all of my music -- with only about 10 percent purchased from Apple and the rest legally purchased on CDs and copied to my Mac. The technician rather crisply told me," You could have found the answer online," and then said I had to have either iTunes Match or Apple Music activated before I could see all songs. That is totally out of sync with what I am reading here.

I wanted to share my iTunes library in the cloud from my Mac so that my iPhone and my iPad could then play the songs in it. All devices are running the latest Mac or IOS. And I pay a small fee to Apple each year to share music. What settings do I need to change?

Please tell your Apple Store people that if people like me need to talk to someone face to face, it's probably because we've been frustrated trying to follow your online instructions. Perhaps he didn't care to deal with someone my age (I have a white beard and white hair). Too bad; our money is the same color.

Dec 22, 2015 6:24 AM in response to electroscribe_iMac

HI,

This a user to user forum. You are not talking to Apple here. Your issue does not appear to be the same as the OP.

Do you use iTunes Match or Apple Music. If so, I suggest that you repost, with a bit more info on your equipment and problems, on either the iTunes Match forum or the Apple Music forum where someone from the forum can provide some assistance.

Jim

Having issues taking songs off my iPhone using iTunes? Was so easy before now only way is to use phone and do it individually. You could do it with a click of a mouse on iTunes before

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.