Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant burn cd in itunes 12

I can not burn a mp3 cd in itunes. I use to do it all the time about a year ago so i know my laptop is capable of doing it. I have a blank disc inserted in the disk drive. I created a playlist, and have tried everything. I went to file and there is no burn option in file. I have gone to edit<preferences<advanced, but there is no burning option in advanced either. I have no idea what else to do

This is what my file looks like

New

Edit playlist

Close window

Add file to library

Add folder to library

Library

Devices

Home Sharing

Open stream

Subscribe to podcast

Get info (grayed out)

Show in windows explorer (grayed out)

Create new version ( Grayed out)

Page setup

Print

Exit

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 11:31 AM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2015 12:19 AM in response to topherking1234

topherking1234 wrote:

When you say select a playlist i assume you mean click on it.

Yes.

Once you click on a Playlist, it should be highlighted in blue. In my screenshot above, the area I've ringed in orange is selected and therefore highlighted (so it's blue). Notice the icon for it - that's a Playlist Folder, not a Playlist. You cannot burn a Playlist Folder.

Here are the three different icons for Playlists:

User uploaded file

As a side note; if this problem was due to a lack of CD burner, or software, I would expect the option to burn to be there, but when slected, I would then expect an error message to tell you that iTunes cannot find the software, or the CD drive.

Notice in the original screenshot that "Create New Version" was not greyed out,as you say yours is. So far I have not been able to reproduce exactly your scenario, but as I have said, you have to select a Playlist in order for the option to burn to be listed. If you have doen that, is there anything about the Playlist that's unusual?

1. Does it contain only music?
  2. What format is the music in?
  3. Does the music in the Playlist have cloud icons next to it? (If so, those songs are in the cloud, but not on your computer, so iTunes cannot burn them.)
  4. Does it have videos?

Aug 10, 2015 8:34 PM in response to the fiend

I have downloaded all the songs from the icloud to my computer, made a playlist and when I right click on the playlist there is no burn option. The options that show are:

Play

Shuffle

Play Next

Add to up next

Edit Playlist

Copy to Play Order

Duplicate

Delete

I put a blank CD in and it acknowledges the CD and asks me to pick a playlist to burn but then the burn option isn't there. It isn't under the file list either. Help!

cant burn cd in itunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.