Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display interface lag on 4k DELL P2715Q monitor MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Is anyone experiencing issues with the outlined setup on the DELL P2715Q or any 4k displays?

My issue display performance is compromised and I’m having trouble switching between dialog windows, drop-down menus in the OS menu bar, very very heavy lag on any mission control action, and general performance lag of the OS as a whole. Sometimes I get better performance with near predictable 60Hz response and sometimes very very poor performance almost unusable.

I have had this exact same monitor (DELL P2715Q - 3840 x 2160) running with no issues on my older mbp mid 2014 with the older Graphics card with no issue whatsoever.

What I have tried:

• Toggle all possible resolution combinations on both native display and tethered display
  • Exhaustive searches on Google and Apple threads for this issue
  • Disabling all non essential start up items
  • Different display cables
  • Different 4k monitor: the DELL P2415Q running at all configurable resolutions)

Is this possibly third party application interference?

This is a work computer so I’m required to run some third party applications.

• Symantec Norton ™ Security
  • Mozy Enterprise backup solutions
  • Dell KACE Agent

System configuration:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processer 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Built-in Display

15.4-inch (2880 x 1800)

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

DELL P2715Q Display (running at 60Hz)

27-inch (3840 x 2160)

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 2:21 AM

Though the post is a bit old, I have the exact same monitor and just found, that using scaled resolutions with a 13" MBP (early 2015) causes serious performance issues. Just use 1080p or 2160p. That [^almost] solves the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Jonas

[^almost]: animations are smooth now, but there's somtimes a short "thinking break" before animation starts.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2017 2:21 AM in response to MRusczyk

Though the post is a bit old, I have the exact same monitor and just found, that using scaled resolutions with a 13" MBP (early 2015) causes serious performance issues. Just use 1080p or 2160p. That [^almost] solves the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Jonas

[^almost]: animations are smooth now, but there's somtimes a short "thinking break" before animation starts.

Aug 23, 2015 6:43 PM in response to MRusczyk

I have a similar question: I am strongly considering buying a P2715Q for my new MacBook Pro with retina display (16GB mid 2014 model with 2.2 GHz Core i7 processor, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics). Were the display issues on the newer one because of the Norton software?

Otherwise I was considering going with a Dell U2715H.

Aug 25, 2015 10:57 AM in response to MRusczyk

This issue still persists and is very annoying and bad. The issue is also present on both the 4k DELL P2715Q and the 4k DELL P2415Q and I would imagine that I would experience this on any 4k monitor. I'm lost for a solution and very frustrated, I don't know if I'm having issues with my video card, thunderbolt ports or what...

Desperate for some help on this

Also I have disabled all with no change in behavior:

• Symantec Norton ™ Security
  • Mozy Enterprise backup solutions
  • Dell KACE Agent

Sep 2, 2015 4:41 PM in response to MRusczyk

I'm glad I finally found your post! I have this same monitor and have been searching for weeks to find a solution to this lag.

I have a program from the App Store called Display Menu and it has every resolution and Hz rate. Anything past 1920 x 1080 drops down to 30 Hz.

I have a brand new Mac Pro and I know this thing can push 4K 60 @ Hz. Disappointing that we'll have to wait for the fix.

I'll follow here and post any quick fixes I find!

Sep 2, 2015 4:50 PM in response to VictorATX

Hey,

Well since my post I've went out and bought mini DP to DP cable and things have considerably improved. HDMI is limited to 30Hz, and I know that, but what I did not know is how much of a difference the DP cable will make. Now it's like looking at completely different screen, smooth, clear and crispy. So yeah now I am using the DP cable at 3840x2160@60Hz and with the Increase contrast option checked on in the Accessibility menu it's very smooth and responsive.

Good luck!

Sep 15, 2015 8:45 PM in response to Maxoos

Hi,

I have this exact same issue. I just bought the top end 15" MBP and the dell display and am having the same horrible performance. Do you mean that you are running the display out of the HDMI port on your computer and converting it to mDP? Could you share what your exact cable and set up is? If you're able to get smooth performance at 60Hz then whatever you're doing seems like it might be a viable workaround for now. Definitely wondering if this is just going to require a fix from Apple to support the display.

Cheers!

Display interface lag on 4k DELL P2715Q monitor MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.