Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mod wheel not sending Midi CC1 into Logic Prox

I cannot get my keyboard mod wheel to work in Logic - it is sending CC1 messages into my mac mini but the CC1 is not appearing in Logic Prox - the pitch bend wheel is working fine. The mod wheel works when I explicitly assign it but does not work as the default in ES2, ESX24 etc - am I being stupid - is there something obvious I have not done?

Any help or advice gratefully received,

Anthony

Mac mini (Late 2014), iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 11:08 AM

There are a few steps along your MIDI signal flow that you can to check:

Are you sure the external MIDI controller is sending CC1 (on which channel). You can use a third party app like MIDI Monitor, that displays all the MIDI traffic going in an out of your mac

User uploaded file

Is Logic receiving that CC1 MIDI Message. Change your Control Bar Display to Custom. It lets you see the incoming MIDI Messages. Here is a screenshot. The fader means CC, 1 means channel 1, another 1 means CC1 (Modulation), 82 is the value.

User uploaded file

Record a MIDI Region while sending the Mod Wheel and check in the Event List if those data are recorded.

User uploaded file

Make sure you don't have any filters enabled

User uploaded file

On important thing. Check your Controller Assignments Window to make sure that the ModWHeel is not assigned to anything Any incoming MIDI Event that you use in the Controller Assignments Window will be intercepted and not recorded as MIDI Events in your Project.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Antz Lewis

There are a few steps along your MIDI signal flow that you can to check:

Are you sure the external MIDI controller is sending CC1 (on which channel). You can use a third party app like MIDI Monitor, that displays all the MIDI traffic going in an out of your mac

User uploaded file

Is Logic receiving that CC1 MIDI Message. Change your Control Bar Display to Custom. It lets you see the incoming MIDI Messages. Here is a screenshot. The fader means CC, 1 means channel 1, another 1 means CC1 (Modulation), 82 is the value.

User uploaded file

Record a MIDI Region while sending the Mod Wheel and check in the Event List if those data are recorded.

User uploaded file

Make sure you don't have any filters enabled

User uploaded file

On important thing. Check your Controller Assignments Window to make sure that the ModWHeel is not assigned to anything Any incoming MIDI Event that you use in the Controller Assignments Window will be intercepted and not recorded as MIDI Events in your Project.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 7, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Antz Lewis

How do you know it's sending CC1s to your Mac Mini?

If in any doubt....

Download and install Snoize's free Midi Monitor...

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

...and use that to check exactly what is being sent from your keyboard.. CC type and channel....

Logic should and does normally respond automatically to the mod wheel of a keyboard without any settings being changed unless you have accidentally checked the any of the Input filters.. In Logic's PROJECT (not main) preferences... > Midi > Input Filter tab

User uploaded file

They should all be unchecked...

Failing all the above...

You may also want to try deleting Logic's Main and CS Prefs files... in case you have accidentally overwritten or reassigned some settings....

To delete the user preferences, do the following:

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro X
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro X User Manual for details on how to do this.
  6. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro X, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find any of the files listed above, you didn’t follow the instruction correctly! 🙂

Aug 8, 2015 5:24 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Nigel and Edgar,

thanks - I had to do all of your suggestions to get it back working. I had been playing a lot with overlapping controller assignments as I was learning how to sue ES2 and Sylenth and so deleting the mess and deleting the two files you suggested did the trick.

Lesson learnt - in Logic do not re-assign the mod wheel to anything else otherwise you lose the ability to use it in the routers in ES2 or plugins as default. There needs to be more warning about this - maybe a -are you sure you want to do this' warning.

Your help was much appreciated, and I have learnt a lot along the way - having midi monitor is useful for instance.

Till next time

Antz

Mod wheel not sending Midi CC1 into Logic Prox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.