Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DONE with iPhoto. What is the best way to move everything to a Backup and just be done with it?

After 8 days of searching, backing up, transferring, merging libraries, deleting libraries, deleting duplicates, re-importing, losing files, getting files back I deleted last year, and screaming into my pillow, I just want to be DONE with iPhoto.

What is the best way to:

1. find all of the jpgs, cr2, and mov files on my computer and

2. get them out of iphoto and onto external HD where they are safe from corruption?

thank you in advance!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 12:48 PM

So I take it you don't want me to follow up on your other thread then.

All of the ar win the Masters Folders of your Libraries.

For working Libraries: File -> Export and set the Kind to Original

For damaged libraries, drag the masters folder out of the Library packages.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2015 12:48 PM in response to xtinlewin

So I take it you don't want me to follow up on your other thread then.

All of the ar win the Masters Folders of your Libraries.

For working Libraries: File -> Export and set the Kind to Original

For damaged libraries, drag the masters folder out of the Library packages.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Sep 3, 2015 5:51 PM in response to xtinlewin

An alternative? I just exported my 2,400 photos from iPhoto (OS X 10.0.5) by going to iPhoto and under Library selecting Photos. (Right under Events)

Then File > Export -- choose Original for Kind: and whatever you prefer for File Name. If you have set up albums, the export will reproduce your albums.

Now I'm backing up my computer.

Oh wait -- possibly not good advice. iPhoto thinks I moved the library and is asking me to set up a new one.

Sep 3, 2015 6:17 PM in response to AconcernedNHmom

If you want the original files, the better way is to got to the iPhoto Library location (default Pictures folder) then right mouse click on it and select show packager contents. Then you will see the Masters folder, that is where all the original files are located, (if you have iPhotos copy the pictures into iPhoto when you imported them.) Use the export and select current for Kind you want to save all your modifications to the photos.

Al

Sep 3, 2015 6:35 PM in response to xtinlewin

xtinlewin wrote:

After 8 days of searching, backing up, transferring, merging libraries, deleting libraries, deleting duplicates, re-importing, losing files, getting files back I deleted last year, and screaming into my pillow, I just want to be DONE with iPhoto.

What is the best way to:

1. find all of the jpgs, cr2, and mov files on my computer and

2. get them out of iphoto and onto external HD where they are safe from corruption?

thank you in advance!

At least in the version I am running - Ilife9 - if you loaded them in a different format and want that format you can drag and drop into a folder - my pictures are in PSD photoshop format - and although I imported them to IPHOTO - my originals for real are safe outside photoshop. If I drag and drop it comes out as PSD - export the option is jpeg or tiff.

Somehow I get the feeling that Apple developers don't use the software so have no clue when they mess things up.

Sep 3, 2015 6:38 PM in response to xtinlewin

Hi,

After replying to one of the responses of your thread, I went back to the original problem threads. I really feel sorry for your troubles. Going in and manipulating the library within is bad. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier. Have you tried iPhoto Library Manager from Fat Cat Software?

If it was me, the first thing I would do is get an external USB drive large enough to hold all the copies of the libraries. Then I would get the iPhoto Library Manager and have it create a new library and it will/can copy any metadata,etc (last I heard, not faces,) to a fresh new library. It does not go in and create / manipulate the library directory. It uses some form of scripting to get the file from iPhoto and then relaunches iPhoto to a destination library and imports it.

Look at their website. fatcatsoftware.comIt can copy, merge and find duplicates from the library. They have a demo/trial but I don't know what features are available. I own a full version of it. If you try it, you must copy the photos to a fresh new library. If you have any questions, you can email the author.

I have been using iPhoto since 2004 and have over 36,000 photos. And we use all the features of it, faces,location, slideshow, etc., but I have some pains.

Hope the above would be of some help

Sep 4, 2015 12:51 AM in response to notcloudy

At least in the version I am running - Ilife9 - if you loaded them in a different format and want that format you can drag and drop into a folder - my pictures are in PSD photoshop format - and although I imported them to IPHOTO - my originals for real are safe outside photoshop. If I drag and drop it comes out as PSD - export the option is jpeg or tiff.

There is no "iLIfe 9". There is a iPhoto 09 and and iPhotov9, which are not the same thing. iPhoto v9 is also known as iPhoto 11, iPhoto 09 is iPhoto v8. Confusing, I know.

If you want toget out what you imported exactly as you imported it:

File -> Export and set the Kind to Original

Every other export setting exports a version of the original. Exports are to standards-compliant, non-proprietary formats (of which PSD is not neither)

If drag and drop is yielding a PSD then you either imported that or are using iPhoto incorrectly with your external editor.

Sep 4, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have the version of IPHOTO that came in the ILIFE09 package - never updated after that as I only used it as a tool for faces and to print or export groups of photographs - already restored using Photoshop -- in event designated folders.

As Apple products call home if the internet connection is active -- I don't open IPHOTO just to find out the version.

Sep 4, 2015 11:51 AM in response to notcloudy

I have the version of IPHOTO that came in the ILIFE09 package

Then you have iPhoto v8.

As Apple products call home if the internet connection is active --

Well, 'check for updates that might be available' seems less pejorative...

I don't open IPHOTO just to find out the version.

You don't have to. The Get Info pane in the Finder or even selecting the app in column view will tell you.

DONE with iPhoto. What is the best way to move everything to a Backup and just be done with it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.