Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Photo Library problems

I've recently changed up (?) from iPhoto to Photo's on my Mac Mini (2012) running Yosemite. In iPhoto I had a single library held on a shared drive that all users accessed, added photos etc. When I migrated to Photo, I imported the iPhoto Library, but when I tried to use the new Photo Library as a shared resource, the 2nd user had multiple permissions issues and the software continually crashed. As a result, I've had to create a second Photo Library, imported the old shared iPhoto library, but for the past month we've now had separate libraries, had to import photos twice etc etc.

Questions

- Once Photos has been started, is it possible to merge/link/consolidate libraries without losing anything

- As they are now two separate libraries, I assume they take up twice the space? And twice the space again when I have to back them up.

- Is there an easy way to import photos from one library to another?

All help gratefully received...

Mac Mini + Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.7), None

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 1:17 PM

9 replies

Aug 7, 2015 1:28 PM in response to markbren

When I migrated to Photo, I imported the iPhoto Library, but when I tried to use the new Photo Library as a shared resource, the 2nd user had multiple permissions issues and the software continually crashed.

Has the Photos library also been on shared drive, with the "ignore Ownership" flag set and formatted as described in this document?

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

That should work also with a Photos library.

Questions

- Once Photos has been started, is it possible to merge/link/consolidate libraries without losing anything

- As they are now two separate libraries, I assume they take up twice the space? And twice the space again when I have to back them up.

- Is there an easy way to import photos from one library to another?

No, it is not possible to merge Photos libraries. You can only export from one library and import into the other library.

Yes, your two separate libraries will take up twice the space.

Aug 9, 2015 11:47 AM in response to markbren

Thanks both for your suggestions. I've moved the library to an external drive that's formatted exactly as described with the sharing and permissions set up as above. I've been able to connect the library to the main profile on the mac mini and set the library up as the system library, but when I've tried to connect to it from the secondary profile I get the error msg in Photo "the library could not be opened. Photos has attempted to repair the library but is unable to open it".

Any suggestions?

Aug 15, 2015 2:18 PM in response to markbren

I am now heartily and utterly sick of Photos. I've followed all the suggestions above, rebuilt the library on an external drive, can access it perfectly well from the Primary account but from the secondary account it will access it once in 5 attempts. The remaining times Photos tells me there are either permissions problems, or it is unable to repair the library. Which when I switch accounts is working fine.

Apple have d*cked around with a piece of software (iPhoto) which was working perfectly well and to all intents and purposes imposed an "upgrade" to a replacement which even when it works looks second rate to its predecessor.

Can someone please help me get this working on multiple accounts before something gets launched from a window.

Aug 18, 2015 9:44 AM in response to markbren

Though this may not be your issue I'd like you to be aware of it. If you are using multiple users, and you are sharing a library, when it is opened on one user account but not closed and a second user then tries to access that same library it will return a permissions error. This will trip up many users, especially those that fast user switch. Be certain to fully quit photos when you are finished with it in a user account. Again, this may not be your issue, but it does sound similar.

Shared Photo Library problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.