Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone USB tethering does not work anymore on Windows 10

Hi guys!

I used to take advantage of the iPhone personal hotspot function very often, as I am always around the world and need internet everywhere on my laptop. I have an iMac 27-inch at home and a 15-inch Asus laptop always with me (corp, PC). I had always used the USB personal hotspot function of my iphone and it worked perfectly on WIndows 8.1... until I updated the PC to Windows 10...

Now, when turning on the USB modem, I hear a USB-device link sound (as it was before), so I suppose the USB modem has been recognized, but it simply doesn't connect to the internet. Quite strange, if to think that before the update it worked everything perfectly andthe update was a matter of 15mins without any loss of data or any other problem.

Does anybody has a solution?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Saverio

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 5:12 PM

Manually reinstall the drivers. To fix Windows 10 usb device recognition to the following:

Open Devices and Printers -> Right Click Iphone which should be under "Unscpecified" -> Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Propterties -> Change Settings -> Driver Tab -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer for Local Software -> Browse to the following directory "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers"

Windows and Itunes should now recognize the iPhone is USB tethered. You should also have some new "Unspecified" Devices in Devices and Printers

Right Click on the "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" (If you don't see this make sure your hotspot is turned ON within the settings of your phone)

Follow the same instruction above but use the following directory for the drivers "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers"

You should be good to go.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to donsaverio89

Manually reinstall the drivers. To fix Windows 10 usb device recognition to the following:

Open Devices and Printers -> Right Click Iphone which should be under "Unscpecified" -> Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Propterties -> Change Settings -> Driver Tab -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer for Local Software -> Browse to the following directory "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers"

Windows and Itunes should now recognize the iPhone is USB tethered. You should also have some new "Unspecified" Devices in Devices and Printers

Right Click on the "Apple Mobile Device Ethernet" (If you don't see this make sure your hotspot is turned ON within the settings of your phone)

Follow the same instruction above but use the following directory for the drivers "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers"

You should be good to go.

Nov 25, 2015 12:57 PM in response to donsaverio89

Hi,

I got the similar problem after upgrading my itunes to 12.3 version and The hotspot internet suddenly stopped working via USB.

Then I tried this: I went to the Program and Features in Control Panel of my Windows 10 and removed every Apple related application from my PC. Then I reinstalled the former version of itunes, and guess what? My PC recognized my iPhones's hotspot connection again and I had my Internet back!

May 7, 2016 2:14 PM in response to Malous

I have had to do the same with my iPhone 6 - roll back to the 2015 iTunes and iCloud and USB hotspot worked.

with the latest versions only wireless hotspot would work and only very occasionally with some unfathomable combination of enabling and disabling wifi and airplane mode on my phone and laptop. How frustration !

iPhone USB tethering does not work anymore on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.