Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 upgrade fail 80073B92-20009 Fusion Drive iMac

iMac 27inch Late 2013

fusion Drive

OS X 10.10.4

bootcamp partition with Windows 8.1 installed ok

the Windows 10 upgrade is ready to install however it fails every time at the reboot stage. I get error 80073B92-20009 and the upgrade fails the iMac starts up in Windows 8.1 again

The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Fusion Drive

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 9:43 AM

Same exact issue, same error.

Still haven't gotten it to work...

Windows 8.1 via bootcamp, running great otherwise... but Windows 10 upgrade fails at "copying files" with that same error code.

Windows hilariously downloads the entire 2.6 GBs again on each attempt (sigh), but frustrating.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2015 9:43 AM in response to britops

Same exact issue, same error.

Still haven't gotten it to work...

Windows 8.1 via bootcamp, running great otherwise... but Windows 10 upgrade fails at "copying files" with that same error code.

Windows hilariously downloads the entire 2.6 GBs again on each attempt (sigh), but frustrating.

Aug 9, 2015 4:16 AM in response to britops

I'm having the same problem on my 5K iMac.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your copy of 8.1. Mine was a discounted version through work. I noticed a thread here where someone said that MSDN versions of 8.1 can't be upgraded using windows update and need to be updated using a separate installer. Worried that I'm having the same problem here.

The thread also suggests that second hard drives have been known to cause problems so have unplugged mine. Now waiting for the 2.7GB download to complete again.

Aug 12, 2015 6:17 PM in response to Macs Pain

Not a bootcamp problem, but likely a fusion drive problem.

Many people on Windows machines reported this error when they have multiple drives. Unplugging the other drive allowed installation. The Fusion Drive is a regular drive and SSD combination, but we can't unplug one of them to continue installation.

So it's an issue between win10 and the imac fusion drive, which is why not everyone on a mac has this problem, but those with fusion drives do.

Aug 14, 2015 1:55 AM in response to britops

So glad I found this thread, the past couple days have been miserable. I have the same exact issue, same error code and same blink of the installation circle before rebooting back into 8.1. Several hours spent trying solution after solution from all over the internet and I have tried everything, from checking disk for errors and fixing it to system defragment, same error every single time. Every attempt to update also brings up the 2GB download which just gets on my nerves and I'm a gamer so I have pretty fast wifi, my 2GB finished in like 5-8 minutes and that itself annoys me so I can imagine other people who spend hours waiting.

Seeing that the bootcamp 6 was out i was finially excited thinking it would fix the issue, trying to install bootcamp 6 itself was such a pain, I had to download the previous version of bootcamp, run it and repair it before running bootcamp 6 off of a flash drive; for some reason the apple software update just wouldnt show bootcamp 6 as an update. So anyways, after bring it up to date i was excited, thought this was finally it and like britops mentioned above, everything happened in the same order with the same error fail code.

My only differences is, 1 i'm not sure if mine is a fusion drive, im using the 250gb macbook pro late 2013 and i actually have my windows partition installed on a separate western digital 1TB hardrive (no way was I gonna split the 250gb or mac and windows, i wouldnt have enough space to even install 1 game).

From all the reading and reasearch i have done on this error code, it seems to me that perhaps this error only pops up on people who run 2 different OS. I was reading on another forum about some people running linux and windows and they mentioned about disabling the linux partition which fixed this exact error and after updating to windows 10 they reconfigured the linux partition. Some people were also suggesting to unplug the drive from the computer which I think could solve the problem but i dont think that is possible on any macs in the recent years. I suspect this issue is on hands to fix, not apple as people dual booting with linux also expirence the exact error.

Would be so gad if someone manages to find a fix or work around that doesnt involve doing a fresh install of windows.

Aug 14, 2015 8:02 PM in response to fhn95

Alright, I got this error on my other half's iMac last night and it's now running Windows 10. I found this solution online and it worked for me. Give it a shot.. nice and easy to try. Good luck everyone!

Here's what finally worked for me after trying multiple times and multiple ways.

Unplug all external drives (from what I can gather from a web search this particular reference to 0x80073B92 - 0x20009 has something to do with external drives).

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributions\Download and delete anything in that folder if there is anything there.

Then go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click on either the 32 or 64 bit tool and then run it to update your current pc when it asks.

Windows 10 upgrade fail 80073B92-20009 Fusion Drive iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.