Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A start in app development

Hi guys,

Alex here, completely new in this area of developing. Well, so new I haven't even started yet.

So, I've created this thread for me (and perhaps future developers) to get some ideas where and what to start with. Like starting from scratch.

If there's someone out there that can bare with me throught this process I'd be very gratefull. I kind of need step-by-step instructions of what I need to start with (hardware, software, coding tutorials, and so on - you guys know better) for a smooth learning process.

For now the main traget for me is to learn creating iOS apps (iPhone, iPad), except complex games that use insane graphical interfaces. I think you've got the idea.

Any good "samaritans" out there? hah. 🙂

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 1:20 PM

Hi Alex, If you are new to software development in general then my advice to you would be to learn objective-c using Xcode writing OS X applications. Once you have Xcode installed and are familiar with the environment (read the included documentation) then start modifying "sample code" projects provided. Learn debugging techniques. I'm stressing OS X development first because developing for iPhone or iPad requires an extra level of understanding about simulators which, again, if your new to software development, is a can-of-worms best left closed until you've experienced the simpler things. Begin with learning cocoa applications (Cocoa Layer -> AppKit -> Sample Code). You'll get the instant gratification of user interface development. Hope this helps

If you've developed software for other platforms, then disregard my advice and proceed on your own.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2015 1:20 PM in response to alxxtruta

Hi Alex, If you are new to software development in general then my advice to you would be to learn objective-c using Xcode writing OS X applications. Once you have Xcode installed and are familiar with the environment (read the included documentation) then start modifying "sample code" projects provided. Learn debugging techniques. I'm stressing OS X development first because developing for iPhone or iPad requires an extra level of understanding about simulators which, again, if your new to software development, is a can-of-worms best left closed until you've experienced the simpler things. Begin with learning cocoa applications (Cocoa Layer -> AppKit -> Sample Code). You'll get the instant gratification of user interface development. Hope this helps

If you've developed software for other platforms, then disregard my advice and proceed on your own.

Aug 9, 2015 7:09 PM in response to disguise

First of all, thank you very much for your reply, it's very helpful.

Yes, I am completely new in developing any kind of software, although I'm already familiar with HTML, CSS and some JavaScript (but I do think none of the above will help me in this process).

OK, so Objective-C is my first concern now. I'm going to learn it, but what happens next? I will be "automatically" guided towards iOS apps? And what do I need to publish an app? Considering that I'm not from US. I also think there should be some rules about what I'm allowed to "dig into". And so on.

By the way... how much would an Apple Developer paid account help me?

Aug 9, 2015 7:23 PM in response to alxxtruta

If I were just starting in Apple development, I would learn Swift, not Objective-C.

I say this because Swift is the direction Apple wants to steer developers too.

The paid developer forums are loaded and very busy with Swift questions.

A paid account gives you access to resources that a free account won't.

You can see what is available for perusing the Apple Developer site.

It makes no difference what part of the World you are from; everyone is subject to the same rules.

There is no 'automatically guiding' towards iOS apps. Why would you think this?

A start in app development

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.