Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shared folder with read and write access but file says read only

Hi,

I have a folder that I am sharing over my home network. The folder has read & write access, however the files in this folder are read only when they are opened by the user that I have shared the files to.

What do I have to do to allow the other person to be able to edit the files?

Jim P.

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 2:11 PM

Select the folder, choose Get Info from the File menu, unlock the Sharing & Permissions section, click on the gear, and choose to apply the settings to the enclosed items.

(131453)

4 replies

Feb 5, 2016 1:20 PM in response to James Palmer2

This fixed it the first time and the person to whom I gave permission was able to change and save it. Then when I (the administrator and originator of the document) tried to make changes on the new saved document, it said it was "Read Only". I had to go back and give myself the Read/Write permission. It seems that every time the document is changed/saved, you have to repeat giving Read/Write permission to ALL with permission to view the "Shared" folder. Anyway to give everyone access to the Shared folder permanent Read/Write permission that will not revoke the Write permission each time the document is changed?

Feb 6, 2016 10:58 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. That didn't work exactly but helped me to find a solution. Summary: I set up the Shared Folder on my iMac and gave my wife (and Everyone) permission to Read & Write all the files in that folder. She can successfully access and change them from her MacBook. Then, when I later open the document (newly changed by her) and click on Get Info, I see that my name is no longer listed in the Sharing & Permissions window. After adding myself back to the list I am able to again make changes to the document and save it to the Shared Folder. My wife likewise can re-open the file I changed and still has Read & Write access again, too. Strange, but it appears that after she changes the document my name is removed from "Sharing & Permissions" even though I am the Author of the document and owner/Administrator of the Shared Folder. As a side note, when she goes to "Get Info" on the documents, Under "Sharing & Permissions", it only says "You have custom access". There is no box there to allow her to see/change the priveleges so she cannot add me. I hope this has helped you and others. If you know/think of an easier, permanent fix where I don't have to add myself and reset permission each time she alters the file; that would be great.

shared folder with read and write access but file says read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.