Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable login window at startup on G3 Powerbook

Hi. I have a G3 Powerbook Wallstreet, and can't get past the login at startup because I don't have the password. The computer is running OS 8.5. I removed the hard drive from the unit and can access it directly from my Mac using an IDE adapter cable. I would like to locate and delete the preference files that define the users so after I reinstall the drive I will be able to mount the drive and create a new admin user, and then access the files for all existing users.

The only pref files I can find on the drive are located in the System Folder/Preferences and are named "User and Group CP prefs" and "User and Group Data file". These are both Unix Executable files. Can someone tell me if deleting these files will do the trick? What will happen when I start up the computer after these are deleted? Thanks for your help.

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 3:21 PM

That should work in theory. Though few people run that operating system now, it may take awhile before you can get a succinct answer. My best advice is clone your system, in case it doesn't work, before you try anything further, or keep those files backed up elsewhere.

6 replies

Aug 14, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Ranger Ric

You are absolutely on the right track. I did the same for a friend who was given a Wallstreet for parts for rehabbing two he already owned. The donated WS was in such good shape that we decided to get it working instead of breaking it down. It had user login security set and I removed the drive and, like you, used a IDE-to-USB adaptor to connect the drive to a newer Mac and delete the needed files from there. Then we were able to boot the G3 without the previous owner's password.

However, that was about seven years ago and time has taken its toll on my memory, and that PB was running OS9. I have an old pre-G3 PowerMac running OS 8.6. Later today I'll fire it up and see if I can spot any other pref files that need deleting and report back.

The "for parts" Wallstreet is now sporting a 60GB hard drive, an upgraded 300mHz processor card (was a 233 as shipped), and 512MB RAM. It runs OS 9 and, using XPostFacto helper software, OS 10.3 Panther. Panther runs better on that computer than did OS 10.2 Jaguar.

Aug 14, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Allan Jones

Wow, thanks Allan! FYI, I deleted the two files shown in the screenshot of my original post, and then reinstalled the HD back into the G3, and fired it up. However, the login screen continues to present itself. Perhaps there are some other system files that need to be deleted? Also, when I deleted those files, I did not empty trash on my host machine, maybe I should? I also noticed that the two files I trashed did not show up in the trash file on the G3 HD, so not sure where they went....

Now that I have copied all the user created files onto another computer, I can simply wipe the drive. Then I'll sell the unit for parts. This old G3 is pretty used and abused, unlike that pristine one you restored.

Was the Wallstreet Apple's very first laptop?

Aug 14, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Ranger Ric

Was the Wallstreet Apple's very first laptop?

No. That honor went to this refugee from a brick factory in Sept 1989:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/specs/mac_portable.html

They called them "portable" back then, Today that model would be called "lugable!"

Get the free Mactracker database for review the history and evolution of these interesting critters. I use it every day in answering questionin these forums:

http://mactracker.ca

I've not had time to fire up the old OS 8.6 machine yet. Stay tuned!

disable login window at startup on G3 Powerbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.