Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot import psd file as separate layers

I am trying to import a 3 layer psd file. According to the help menu you drag the file to your time line and keep holding the mouse button down and a drop menu should ask if you want the layers to import merged or as individual.. These options do not show up? I am using motion 5.2 and ps cs6. Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 3:10 PM

7 replies

Aug 12, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Ps5

Another way to bring it in would be by using the Import command:

Choose File > Import.

1. Select the layered Photoshop file to import, then click Import.The Pick Layer to Import dialog appears.
  2. Choose a command from the Layer Name pop-up menu:
  3. • Merged Layers
  4. • All Layers
  5. • Individual Layers

If that doesn't work I suspect it's something to do with the PSD file.

Double check that the PSD isn't 16bit or CMYK, I believe it should be 8bit RGB.

Aug 12, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Ps5

In Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling, make sure you've set Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility *Always* (or Ask if you want to be pestered every time you save.) Also, schmackhaft is correct - the image must be 8-bit RGB. Then the PSD should behave as previously mentioned (drag and hold for a second or two over the layers list or the canvas and select your choice from the popup menu.)

cannot import psd file as separate layers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.