Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop my USB storage from disconnecting when my laptop sleeps

Greetings,

I am new to this support forum.

My USB storage device disconnects whenever my laptop sleeps. When i open the lid and it wakes up I always see an error message saying i have unexpectedly disconnected my USB device. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to access my USB storage again. Is there a way to keep this connection alive?

USB Storage:

Elago USB microSD

Laptop:

2005 Apple iBook

1.33 GHz PowerPC G4

1.5 GB RAM

OSX v10.5.8

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 6:11 PM

Alas not all USB storage devices respond to this, but there is a checkbox in Apple menu -> System preferences -> Energy Saver for it to prevent from happening. http://www.macsales.com/ can probably sell you a hard drive that doesn't disconnect upon sleep.

4 replies

Aug 9, 2015 12:59 PM in response to roundthehorn

You could try & see if by using a card reader and a self-powered USB hub, if the

card would remain visible to the computer in that situation. The power interruption

to the USB bus in the computer may be sufficient enough to affect the card.

While I use card readers on occasion, mostly for camera images when I don't want

to attach the camera to a computer (and don't use native OS X photo application)

these are not left attached when the computer is powered off or let go asleep. I use

them and then unmount the card (by eject menu option or drag icon to trash.)

At some point, if the card becomes invisible to the computer due to improper use

or accidental disconnect without correct unmount procedure, you may have to see

if the Disk Utility may be able to attempt a repair. This may include reformat. But

note, that several cameras or devices that rely on the card to have a specific format

would need to then reformat it again before it would be useful to said device.

And you may need to finally replace the USB storage flash memory or other, should

it continue or get worse in this regard. Some issues represent defective hardware.

Good luck! 🙂

How to stop my USB storage from disconnecting when my laptop sleeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.