Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Battery Dead Out Of Box

We had a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) go down earlier this week. Genius Bar says something to do with the power unit on the logic board. Incredibly frustrating, but it had been recently backed up. We had a spare one at the office, brand new still in the box. Turn it on and it says No Battery. It works fine besides the battery issue.

Has anyone else had a battery issue on a fresh out of the box computer? It has been sitting for a little over a year. Nobody told us you had to turn it on immediately or the battery would die. I've not seen anything online that says the batteries die if not used right away.

Thoughts? Two high-end computers with serious problems within 3 days makes me very nervous.

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 8:18 PM

4 replies

Aug 8, 2015 8:25 PM in response to DHeckeler

If you've stored a computer in the box with the battery installed for a couple of years, and the battery goes dead in the box, then it is quite possible that the battery cannot be charged. This is quite possible with Lithium-Ion batteries. Of course I assume you tried to charge the battery (can take at least 8 hours to fully charge.)

Aug 8, 2015 8:57 PM in response to DHeckeler

They should be stored in a cool, dark place. The battery should not have gone dead, but some batteries will. It's just a characteristic of the type of battery used. As for Apple policies we are in no position to discuss them. We don't work for Apple. And, these forums are not the proper place to debate those policies.

MacBook Pro Battery Dead Out Of Box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.