Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac no longer prints to Brother HL-5470DW printer after Yosemite upgrade

I upgraded my iMac 21.5" (late 2012) to OS X Yosemite (10.10.4) this week, and have found that I can no longer wirelessly print to my Brother HL-5470DW printer. When I go to print a file, it appears to spool properly, but nothing happens--the printer remains in it's 'sleep' mode. When I press 'GO' on the printer, it wakes and goes to 'pause' because no data is there to print from. When I open the print queue, I see that my document is ready and waiting to print, but the printer never 'wakes up' from its sleep state. It looks like the computer can see and identify the printer on the network, but can't communicate with it. It only registers as "offline".

After spending an entire afternoon and evening scouring help sites, forums, and the Brother website, I have not found any working solutions. Here is a list of things I've already tried:

Deleting the printer from System Preferences, restarting, then adding it again, with an updated driver

Using Disk Utility to Repair Permissions, restarting, adding the updated driver

Deleting the Brother folders from the hard drive's Library and Cache folders, restarting, then updating driver

Adding the printer using its IP address instead of via Bonjour (didn't work...but maybe I missed a step somewhere on that one)

Rebooted the printer (I checked and the printer is connecting to the network just fine. And my MacBook Pro can still print to it, as can a pair of Dell laptops.)

I didn't try downloading a prior driver (like for OS X 10.9 for example), but would need some detailed instructions on every step of implementing that.

Also, I did find a firmware update from Brother, but since my iMac can't communicate with the printer, it couldn't send the firmware update either. The update says it requires a special Java tool to function, too. I might try using my MacBook Pro to send it, though. But I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm done for tonight.

Thanks in advance if anyone out there has the silver bullet for this particular problem.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Brother HL-5470DW printer

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 10:17 PM

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Advanced

and check the box marked

Include Bonjour in the Bookmarks menu

if it's not already checked. Then select

Bookmarks ▹ Bonjour Name of printer

A web page served by the printer should open. You may be prompted for a password. If you haven't set a password, look up the default password in the manufacturer's documentation. If you have set a password but don't know it, you'll have to reset the printer to the factory default state. Again, refer to the documentation to find out how to do that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2015 10:17 PM in response to burrillking5

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Advanced

and check the box marked

Include Bonjour in the Bookmarks menu

if it's not already checked. Then select

Bookmarks ▹ Bonjour Name of printer

A web page served by the printer should open. You may be prompted for a password. If you haven't set a password, look up the default password in the manufacturer's documentation. If you have set a password but don't know it, you'll have to reset the printer to the factory default state. Again, refer to the documentation to find out how to do that.

Aug 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. I was able to access the printer's web page through this method, but I still am unable to print from the iMac. Are there further steps to be taken after getting into the printer's web page? I looked around but couldn't see anything blatantly out of whack.

I was able to print a test page from the web page, but when trying to print a document from the iMac, the printer still doesn't respond.

Aug 9, 2015 11:20 AM in response to burrillking5

If you haven't done so already, try resetting the printing system.

OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system also Yosemite

Network Printer Troubleshooting

Ping printer: If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

WiFi Printer to WiFi Network - Connect

Aug 9, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. I forgot to mention resetting the printing systemn, but I did that already, too.

I tried the ping, and received the following:

PING *******************: 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3...(etc., each repeating line coming in 1 per second.)

Is that useful information??

iMac no longer prints to Brother HL-5470DW printer after Yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.